Ivy Wong is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office. She is the chair of the Firm's Capital Markets Practice Group in Asia Pacific and serves on the Global Capital Markets Steering Committee.Ivy was shortlisted for Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards in 2019 and 2020, and is named one of the leading Capital Markets practitioners in Hong Kong. She has been quoted and interviewed by international media and journals including Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist and Reuters. She is qualified to practice in Hong Kong, England and Wales and New York.
Representative Legal Matters
Initial public offerings
- Advised 3SBio Inc. on the spin-off listing of its subsidiary, Sunshine Guojian Pharmaceutical (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., on the STAR Market, the new Science and Technology Innovation Board of the Shanghai Stock Exchange launched in July 2019.
- Advised China Merchants Commercial Real Estate Investment Trust on its HKD 2.6 billion REIT IPO and listing of trust units on the main board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. This was the first authorisation application of a HK REIT under the new sponsors' regime since 2013 and the first HK REIT listing by a PRC state-owned enterprise since 2006. This deal was honourably mentioned for "Deal of the Year 2019" in Asia-mena Counsel Awards 2019 and shortlisted for "Equity Deal of the Year" in 17th Annual ALB China Law Awards 2020.
- Advised Stichting Depositary APG Strategic Real Estate Pool and SK Holdings Co., Ltd. as substantial shareholders on the HKD 12.42 billion IPO and listing of shares of ESR Cayman Limited on the main board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. This was the third largest HK IPO in 2019 and was shortlisted for "Equity Deal of the Year" in IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2020.
- Advised China International Capital Corporation Hong Kong Securities Limited, Credit Suisse (Hong Kong) Limited and Morgan Stanley Asia Limited as the joint global coordinators on the HKD 1.65 billion IPO and listing of shares of Shanghai Dongzheng Automotive Finance Co., Ltd on the main board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. It was a spin-off from its Hong Kong-listed parent company, China ZhengTong Auto Services Holdings Limited. This was one of the few auto finance companies successfully listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange with an innovative offering structure involving stock borrowing from an international investor. This deal was shortlisted for "Equity Deal of the Year" in IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2020.
Equity and debt fund raisings by listed issuers
- Advised SK Holdings Co., Ltd., a Korea listed company, on the successful private placement of shares in ESR Cayman Limited for HKD 3.15 billion.
- Advised 3SBio Inc. on the issuance of its new EUR 320 million zero-coupon convertible bonds due 2025 through its SPV, and on the concurrent repurchase of its existing convertible bonds. This deal is one of the very few concurrent issue and repurchase of convertible bonds in the market.
- Advised the controlling shareholder of a HK listed company on the transfer of margin loan facility to a major fund investor involving the investor's concurrent investment in the company during the blackout period in response to the unprecedented market volatility at its peak during the COVID-19 pandemic. The transaction was extremely complex, time sensitive and unconventional, which was intensified by different regulatory complexities and technicalities that needed to be overcome in order to achieve a successful completion.
- Advised BOCOM International Holdings, a HK listed company, on a financing transaction that facilities a mandatory general offer made by a controlling shareholder of a listed company. The deal was successfully completed in the midst of a challenging market during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised BOCOM International Holdings, a HK listed company, on an investment transaction involving its subscription of preference shares in a new tech company in the pharmaceutical, biotech and biomed sector. The deal was successfully completed in the midst of a challenging market during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advised Tencent on its pre-IPO investment in Koolearn Technology Holding Limited and its rights as a substantial shareholder of Koolearn.
- Shortlisted for Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards in 2019 and 2020; named one of the leading Capital Markets practitioners in Hong Kong
- New York~North America (2009)
- England & Wales (2003)
- Hong Kong (2002)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M.)
- University of Hong Kong (LL.B. and P.C.LL.)
- University of British Columbia (Bachelor of Commerce)
Contributor, "Hong Kong Sponsor Due Diligence Guidelines", 2020
Contributor, "Coronavirus Considerations for Capital Markets," Baker McKenzie, 2020
Contributor, "Coronavirus Under the Capital Markets Microscope," Baker McKenzie, 2020
Commentator, "The Future of Capital Raising in Biotech and Pharma," Baker McKenzie, 2020
Firm Committee Memberships
- Asia Pacific Capital Markets Steering Committee – Chair
- Global Capital Markets Steering Committee – AP Representative
- BakerWomen – Hong Kong Champion
- Junior Lawyer Committee – Member