Mrs Wong Ai Ai is a member of multinational law firm Baker McKenzie's Global Executive Committee and Chair of the Asia Pacific Region.
Mrs Wong is recognised as a leading individual for Corporate/M&A matters by publications including Chambers Asia Pacific, Legal 500 Asia Pacific and IFLR1000.
Today, Mrs Wong leads a number of key areas of strategic focus for the Firm, including building out Baker McKenzie's transactional strength in money centres such as London, New York and HK/China, and overseeing the Firm’s Financial Institutions Group globally. As Chair of the Firm's Environment Committee, Mrs Wong also leads Baker McKenzie’s global waste and emissions reduction drive, and champions the Firm’s involvement in some of the world's most significant sustainability initiatives.
Outside of Baker McKenzie, Mrs Wong is currently a Board Director at Singapore Tourism Board and a Director of Singapore Tyler Print Institute (STPI). She is also a strong advocate for, and former Chair of, the Yellow Ribbon Fund, a charitable foundation that supports rehabilitation and reintegration programmes for ex-offenders and their families.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised LGT Group Foundation (LGT) on its agreement to acquire ABN AMRO’s private banking business in Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai with approximately USD20 billion assets under management. LGT is the leading international private banking and asset management group owned by the Princely House of Liechtenstein. The acquisition is part of LGT's growth strategy and further enhances its existing footprint in Asia and the Middle East.
- Advised on the SGD2.7 billion (USD2.16 billion) offer for the food and beverage business of Fraser & Neave, Limited (F&N), a leading real estate and food and beverage conglomerate in Singapore and Malaysia, pursuant to the SGD13.1 billion (USD10.5 billion) bid by OUE Baytown Pte Ltd for F&N; and (ii) the sale of Kirin’s 14.76 percent stake in F&N to Thai-owned TCC Assets Limited for SGD2.03 billion (USD1.62 billion).
- Advised Jaya Holdings Limited, a large builder and owner of offshore support vessels, and its subsidiaries on the restructuring of its indebtedness (up to SGD1 billion) to 13 banks and trade creditors. This was the largest restructuring in Singapore following the global financial crisis.
- Advised Gaw Capital Partners on its SGD203 million acquisition of Singapore's Big Hotel. Gaw Capital Partners' affiliate GCP Hospitality will refurbish and rebrand the hotel under its Hotel G brand. This transaction is Gaw Capital Partners' first property investment into Singapore.
- Advised Temasek Holdings on its USD300 million investment in exchangeable rights issued by a unit of PT Multipolar Tbk. The exchangeable rights grant Temasek the right to a 26.1 percent stake in PT Matahari Putra Prima Tbk and was part of an agreement with majority stakeholder PT Multipolar Tbk, which is controlled by Indonesian conglomerate Lippo Group.
- Advised Al-Futtaim Group in respect of its acquisition of a strategic interest in RSH Limited. Also advised Al-Futtaim Group in connection with its voluntary general offer for Singapore-listed Robinson and Company Limited and subsequent privatization of the company at more than SGD600 million.
- Advised LVMH Moët Hennessy-Louis Vuitton in the voluntary takeover offer and privatization of Heng Long International Ltd, a crocodilian skin tannery listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advised YTL Corporation Berhad in relation to its acquisition from Macquarie Bank Limited of approximately 26 percent of the units in Macquarie Prime Real Estate Investment Trust (MP-REIT), listed on the main board of the SGX-ST, and 50 percent of issued shares in a holding company which is the 100 percent shareholder of the manager and property manager of MP-REIT.
- Advised on the sale of Park Hotel Clarke Quay to the Ascendas Hospitality Real Estate Investment Trust. Also advised with regard to a 10-year master lease agreement to lease the hotel to Park Hotel CQ Pte Ltd. This deal was recognized by Real Estate Investment World Asia 2013 Best Exit of the Year.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of Singapore
- Gray's Inn, England - Barrister
- Singapore Tyler Print Institute - Board Member
- Singapore Tourism Board - Board Director
- Singapore (1989)
- New York~United States (1988)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1986)
- Harvard University Law School (LL.M.) (1987)
- University of Kent (B.A. Law First Class Honours) (1985)