Jonathan Wilan is a partner in the Firm's Washington, DC office. He has focused his practice for over 15 years on the complex intersection between legal risk and data. Jonathan has extensive experience in the areas of cybersecurity, complex litigation and investigations.
He is a frequent speaker and author on complex issues related to cybersecurity, information management and electronic discovery. He has also appeared on panels at the Sedona Conference, LegalTech, the Masters Conference on Electronic Discovery, and ILTA on issues ranging from data security to computer-assisted document review and cross-border discovery.
Jonathan regularly advises clients in the areas of cybersecurity, information governance, and electronic discovery, including providing proactive counseling, leading digitally focused investigations, and pursuing or defending related litigation matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a leading cybersecurity company in its lawsuit alleging violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016.
- Advised an information technology company on its response to the Federal Trade Commission's request related to adequacy of cybersecurity controls.
- Prepared a response to a Delaware books and records demand related to a cybersecurity incident for a leading hospitality company.
- Developed a comprehensive, proactive litigation strategy for a multinational company in the wake of a data security incident.
- Counseled on emerging areas of federal cybersecurity law, including the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act.
- Advised on the development of incident response plans and attorney client privilege in the context of investigations.
- Counseled clients in data breach investigation matters in the information technology, transportation, hospitality and financial services sectors.
- Provided compliance training on data security best practices for a US apparel company in Hong Kong and China.
- Advised clients on the proactive use of artificial intelligence technology in the context of litigation, contract management and other emerging use cases.
- Served as national e-discovery counsel for a leading telecommunications company for more than 10 years.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sedona Conference Working Group 1, Electronic Document Production and Retention - Member
- Sedona Conference Working Group 6, International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure - Member
- Sedona Conference Working Group 11, Data Security and Privacy Liability - Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association, E-Discovery Committee - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (1999)
- Virginia~United States (1997)
- Harvard Law School (JD cum laude) (1997)
- University of Maryland (BA magna cum laude) (1994)
Co-author, "Discovery in the Digital Age," Civil Discovery in Virginia, Virginia Lawyers Practice Handbook, Fourth Edition, 2017
Co-author, "Techniques for Obtaining Efficient and Economical e-Disclosure Despite Arbitral Resistance to U.S.-Style Discovery," E-Discovery In Arbitration, Thomson Reuters/Aspatore, 2010