Hannelore Wiame is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's European & Competition Law Practice in Brussels. Her practice focuses on EU and Belgian competition law. She joined the Firm in May 2014.
Hannelore advises on a wide range of competition law issues, including cartel investigations, state aid, horizontal and vertical agreements, abuse of dominant position, compliance and merger control.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended one of the parties involved in the cement cartel fined by the Belgian Competition Council, in a subsequent abuse of dominance and cartel case brought before the Belgian courts.
- Secured a reduction in the fine imposed by the European Commission on a company active in the petroleum sector for its participation in the Bitumen Spain cartel, by representing the company in proceedings before the European Court of Justice.
- Successfully defended a client in proceedings before the Belgian Competition Authority brought by a third party requesting preliminary measures to be imposed.
- Represented an automotive parts supplier in cartel proceedings before the European Commission.
- Acted for a consumer electronics goods manufacturer in an investigation by the European Commission into resale price maintenance and online sales restrictions, leading to the first-ever settlement case adopted by the European Commission for vertical infringements.
- Defended an Environmental Agency of the Belgian government in state aid proceedings before the European Commission.
- Providing ongoing assistance with the state aid compliant design of various funding schemes to two different national funding banks.
- Providing ongoing assistance to a public agency on queries relating to various state aid initiatives to be designed under GBER.
- Represented a client in the gambling industry in state aid proceedings before the European Court of Justice.
- Represented an airline in proceedings before the Belgian Competition Authority relating to the successful acquisition of a competing airline.
- Represented multiple clients in Form RS proceedings before the European Commission.
- Carried out multiple multijurisdictional and substantive merger control analyses for clients.
- Extensive experience in creating and delivering compliance and dawn raid presentations for various clients.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brussels~Belgium (2016)
- University of Liège (Post Graduate Diploma EU Competition and IP Law) (2013)
- Catholic University of Leuven (Master of Laws) (2012)