David Whittaker is a senior associate in the Baker McKenzie Wealth Management team. David joined the Firm in 2012 and has spent time on secondment in the legal and compliance team at a leading private bank. He has chaired and presented at the Baker McKenzie Annual Tax and Trusts Conference in London for the last four years and has spoken at numerous STEP conferences, including in Geneva and Monaco. David also volunteers at the Legal Advice Centre in Bethnal Green.
David's main practice is advising ultra high-net worth entrepreneurial individuals and families on cross-border personal and trust taxation, international asset structuring including establishing private trust companies, pre-immigration and succession planning. He also advises international financial institutions, leading trustees and private banks on regulatory and compliance issues, information exchange and has contentious experience advising on family disputes, trust litigation and UK and foreign tax investigations. His practice also includes philanthropic work and he has established a number of UK charities for clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on asset structuring and corporate governance for a high profile and ultra-high net worth client based in the Middle East, including real estate in multiple jurisdictions.
- Provided advice on corporate and tax structuring for significant maritime assets.
- Advised on the establishment of a Jersey trust structure to hold a successful manufacturing company for a leading family based in Asia.
- Advised the trustees on a contentious restructuring of a complex trust structure holding operating companies, investment portfolios and real estate in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised on the enforceability of foreign tax authority claims against an offshore trust in relation to the historic disposal of a private island in Europe.
- Advised on strategy and negotiated a settlement agreement on behalf of a Ukraine-based client in relation to a dispute in respect of a controlling interest in a significant and publically quoted business.
- Structured the acquisition of a private island in the Caribbean through a Bermuda limited partnership, managing US, UK and Irish tax exposure and the demands of a third party lender.
- Advised on the tax restructuring of IP interests of a multi-billion dollar US restaurant chain.
- Provided UK tax and structuring advice on the settlement of a significant volume of cryptocurrencies on to a Jersey trust and the use of a cryptocurrency as security for the acquisition of a UK residential property.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2014)
- University of Warwick (LLB European Law, with honours) (2011)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.