Howard Weitzman is a member of the Firm's Tax & Transfer Pricing group in Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office with more than 13 years of experience practicing as a tax lawyer in Tokyo and Washington DC. Mr. Weitzman has extensive experience assisting international clients with tax planning and transfer pricing issues, as well as more broadly with respect to general legal issues involving operations in Japan.
Mr. Weitzman regularly advises US and foreign-based clients on a wide range of international tax and transfer pricing issues, including issues involving intangible migration, mergers and acquisitions, treaty interpretation, and indirect tax (VAT), working together with Japanese colleagues. With respect to transfer pricing, he assists clients with negotiating Advanced Pricing Agreements, obtaining Competent Authority relief and preparing transfer pricing documentation. Mr. Weitzman's clients are in a wide-range of industries, including technology, communications, manufacturing, retail, and pharmaceuticals.
Representative Legal Matters
- Routinely assists multinational corporations with establishing operations in Japan; primarily advising with respect to tax, but also advise with respect to corporate, intellectual property, labor, and regulatory issues in connection with ongoing operations in Japan.
- Works closely with Japanese attorneys to provide international corporate clients with practical advice to enable them to solve issues in Japan from a tax, transfer pricing, customs, and general corporate perspective.
- Advises clients on a range of transfer pricing matters; has continuously represented a publicly listed Japanese automobile manufacturer with negotiation of renewals of its bilateral APA (from both a US and Japanese tax perspective) since 2007.
- Drafts and reviews agreements, including employment, joint venture, licensing, marketing, distribution, and commissionaire (toiya).
- Advises international clients on tax planning for expatriates stationed in Japan.
Representative M&A matters include the following:
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in its USD4.1 billion sale of its medical device business, involving over 20 countries.
- Represented a technical instrument company’s USD1.1 billion purchase of a medical device business, involving over 30 countries.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company’s sale of a pediatric formula unit, followed by a USD1 billion IPO.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New Jersey Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2010)
- District of Columbia~United States (2008)
- New York~United States (2000)
- New Jersey~United States (1999)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. Taxation) (2003)
- Rutgers University (J.D.) (1999)
- Cornell University (M.P.S. Communication and Japanese Studies) (1995)
- Cornell University (FALCON Japanese Language Program) (1990)
- Cornell University (B.S.) (1989)
- Washington, DC