Kerry Weinger, Chair of the Chicago Employment & Compensation Law Practice Group and member of the Management Committee of the Firm’s North America Employment & Compensation Law Practice Group, represents and advises multinational employers in the area of global mobility and employment law as well as assisting clients entering new territories. Mr. Weinger has served as a member of Worldwide ERC's Global Advisory Council and the Board of Directors of the International Personnel Association. He is a member of several Human Resources, Bar and CPA associations.
Mr. Weinger advises management on global employment, tax, social security, employee benefits, compensation, immigration law and other legal issues concerning the cross-border transfer of employees as well as assisting clients entering new jurisdictions. He has spoken extensively before professional organizations around the world and written several articles on international employment law, tax, payroll and compensation and benefits issues. He has authored chapters in “The BNA International Human Resources Guide” as well as numerous articles for “The Journal of Corporation Taxation” and other professional publications including "Moving Target: The New Age of International Assignments and the Rise of the Accidental Expat" and "The Global Employer: Focus on Global Immigration & Mobility". In addition, he authored a book entitled, “US Employees Abroad.”
Representative Legal Matters
- Taking an integrated, multidisciplinary approach, structuring the employment of cross-border transferees including the implementation and maintenance of global employment companies.
- Structuring and drafting international employment and termination agreements as well as related documents such as expatriate assignment letters, secondment and service agreements and transfer of employment and termination agreements.
- Performing global legal and regulatory employment compliance audits with a focus on the client’s multijurisdictional employment activities and assisting with the employment, tax, securities law and data privacy issues involved in the implementation of global equity and other incentive plans.
- Assisting clients with global reductions in force by advising on each jurisdiction’s notice, severance, tax and other applicable requirements with a view to reducing employer costs and burdens on staff associated with the reduction.
- Creating international assignment policies, assignee handbooks and related accounting and payroll procedures, as well as conducting legal reviews of same to reduce employer legal risk exposure.
- Developing and implementing tax planning strategies and structures for high net worth individuals with respect to their international investments, businesses and estate planning.
- Representing clients before income tax and social security authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- OneWorld International Benefits Group
- Worldwide ERC
- Human Resources Management Association of Chicago
- International Fiscal Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois CPA Society
- American Bar Association
- Illinois~United States (1979)
- John Marshall Law School (LL.M. Taxation) (1986)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.) (1979)
- University of Illinois (B.S. Accounting) (1976)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.