Dr. Johannes Weichbrodt is a counsel in our Dusseldorf office. He advises on all aspects of European and German antitrust and competition law and helps clients with all kinds of compliance matters. Before joining the firm in 2015, Johannes was with the antitrust practice at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer for over five years, ultimately as principal associate. In 2014, he was seconded to ThyssenKrupp AG where he worked in the compliance department. He is admitted to the Dusseldorf Bar and is a member of the German Association of Antitrust Lawyers.
Johannes, having advised on the largest international cartel investigation to date, has particular experience guiding clients through such onerous proceedings. He regularly sets up and implements several global compliance programs in different jurisdictions, with a particular focus on Latin America. In addition, he has acted on numerous high-profile merger cases and has helped clients with their distribution issues. His litigious experience includes proceedings before the European Court of Justice. German and international clients he has acted for typically come from the automotive and heavy industries, as well as the consumer goods and retail sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a European automotive supplier on its multinational internal cartel investigation and subsequent settlement with the European Commission.
- Acted for an Asian automotive supplier in proceedings before the European Commission in an international cartel case.
- Set up an in-depth compliance investigation of a Latin American subsidiary of a German industrial heavyweight.
- Advised on internal investigations in for a German industrial client.
- Acted for Villeroy & Boch in an appeal before the European Court of Justice in relation to a cartel fine.
- Successfully defended a US consumer and luxury goods manufacturer against delivery and damage claims in first and second instance before the competent German Courts.
- Advised LKQ on its USD 1.5 billion acquisition of Stahlgruber before the EU Commission.
- Represented private equity companies as well as strategic investors from various industries in EU and multinational merger control proceedings.
- Regularly represents Accenture in merger control proceedings before the German Competition Authority.
- Regularly assists a German Automotive OEM and an international wholesale group on antitrust and distribution law matters worldwide.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Bar Association - Member
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers - Member
- German Latin America Association - Member
- Germany (2009)
- University of Passau (Dr. iur. summa cum laude) (2011)
- King's College London, UK (Master of Laws LL.M.) (2009)
- Higher Regional Court of Hamburg (Second State Exam) (2008)
- University of Passau (First State Exam) (2004)
- Buenos Aires
Author, "OLG Düsseldorf: Übernahme Kaiser's Tengelmann durch EDEKA – Ministererlaubnis gestoppt," Betriebsberater, 2016, p. 1741 (with C. Horstkotte)
Author, "Der verbotene Beweis in Straf- und Zivilprozess," PhD dissertation, Mohr Siebeck, 2011
Presenter, "Competition Law for Compliance Manager," Bundesverband der Compliance Manager, yearly seminars in Düsseldorf, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich