Mike Webb is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Practice Group. He has published several articles relating to renewable energy, foreign investment matters and land rights. Mike is a founding member of the Future Leaders Network Committee in South Africa, a subcommittee of the International Project Finance Association.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the lenders in relation to the project financing of two 75MW solar PV projects under Round 4 of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (REIPPP).
- Advising a group of lenders in relation to the project financing of a 25MW biomass facility to be constructed in the Mpumalanga Province. This transaction will be the second biomass project in South Africa's REIPPP.
- Advising a sponsor in respect of a 600MW coal-fired power plant project as part of the coal baseload IPP programme in South Africa.
- Advising a bidder in respect of its bid for the acquisition of the downstream business of a multinational oil company.
- Advising Pan African Resources, as employer, in respect of an engineering procurement and construction contract for a new gold tailings plant and associated infrastructure.
- Advising various corporates and lenders in respect of corporate power purchase agreements (PPAs) within South Africa, including regulatory regime and contractual structuring approaches.
- Advising and assisting Neoen in respect of the financial close of its 109MW wind farm located in South Australia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- Future Leaders Network Committee - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Witwatersrand (Certificate Energy Law) (2015)
- University of Cape Town (B.Soc.Sc.) (2011)
- University of Cape Town (LL.B.) (2011)
Author, "Short sighted view of long-term needs," Without Prejudice, April 2015
Author, "South African power generation – update," Green Business Guide, September 2014
Author, "No more BITs and pieces," Without Prejudice, December 2013
Author, "Early winners and losers," Without Prejudice, September 2012