Mike is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Environmental Markets team in Melbourne.
Mike focuses his practice on major projects, primarily within the energy and infrastructure sectors. He advises multinational investors and financial institutions on various components of large scale projects, including corporate structuring, project development, all project documents, finance, and regulation issues. He has assisted a number of foreign and local investors within the renewable energy, climate change and infrastructure sectors in both Australia and South Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for WePower in respect of the development and establishment of its blockchain based corporate PPA energy trading platform in Australia
- Acting for Foresight on the simultaneous acquisition of an equity interest in the 30MW Oakey 1, 70MW Oakey 2 and 17MW Longreach solar farm projects and the concurrent project financing of the Oakey 2 project all located in Queensland
- Acting for Neoen in respect of the 112 MW Hornsdale Wind Farm (stage 3) located in South Australia
- Acting for Canadian Solar in respect of the development of the Oakey 1 and Longreach solar PV projects located in Queensland
- Acting for DP Energy in respect of the development of a 375 MW combined wind and solar (and battery storage) renewable energy park in South Australia
- Lead advisor to the Renewable Energy Performance Platform, managed by Camco Energy and backed by the UK's Department of BEIS, in respect of the provision of blended finance to various types of renewable energy developers across Africa including Zambia, Ghana, Tanzania and Lesotho
- Led the due diligence for a large French energy utility in respect of:
- the potential acquisition of a majority equity stake in a 180 MW run of river hydro power plant in Zambia
- the potential acquisition of a stake in a solar PV rooftop business that operates across Africa including SA, Zimbabwe and Kenya
- potential acquisition of a majority equity stake in a CSP project in South Africa
- Advised a large French energy utility through the submission of a bid for two solar PV projects with a combined capacity of 40 MW in Zambia
- Advised a South African based private equity fund in respect of its acquisition of a downstream compressed natural gas business in Nigeria
- Advised Nedbank in relation to the project financing of one 25 MW biomass project and two 75 MW solar PV projects under Round 4 of the South African Renewable Energy procurement programme
Professional Associations and Memberships
- IPFA Future Leaders Network Committee (South Africa) - Founding member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
Member of LAWCO (Legal-aid clinic, UCT) 2011
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Witwatersrand (Certificate Energy Law) (2015)
- University of Cape Town (B.Soc.Sc.) (2011)
- University of Cape Town (LL.B.) (2011)
Various articles published in Without Prejudice, a South African legal publication.
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.