Lisa's practice focuses on tax planning and dispute resolution.
Her dispute resolution practice includes resolving both income tax and indirect tax disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency. As well as assisting clients through the voluntary disclosure process and in requesting taxpayer relief. Lisa has appeared before the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining, Lisa handled the following matters:
- Advised a corporation in an audit by the Canada Revenue Agency involving transfer pricing reassessments under both the repricing and recharacterization provisions.
- Represented a corporation in an appeal to the Tax Court of Canada involving the characterization of a supply of a “financial service” as per s. 123 of the Excise Tax Act.
- Advised a corporation in an application under the voluntary disclosure program of the Canada Revenue Agency in a matter involving loans to non-resident shareholders.
- Defended a corporation in an appeal to the Tax Court of Canada involving the characterization of a gain on a disposition of shares as being on income or capital account.
- Acted for a corporation in an application to the Superior Court of Justice (Ontario) to rectify a transaction involving capital dividends.
- Defended individuals in an appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal involving director's liability under s. 227.1 of the Income Tax Act for the failure by a corporiation to pay tax.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2015)
- University of Ottawa (Juris Doctor cum laude) (2014)
- Dalhousie University (BComm) (2011)
- Co-author, "Disputing Denied Downward Transfer-Pricing Adjustments”, 67(2) Canadian Tax Journal 281-308, 2019
- Author, "The Unintended Effects of a Voluntary Election", Commodity Tax News, vol. 25, issues 5-6, September 2018
- Speaker, "Rectification and Rescission", GTA Accountants Network, September 2019