Stephen Watts is a partner in the Melbourne office of Baker McKenzie where he advises on all aspects of banking and finance and compliance. Stephen is recognised for successfully co-ordinating cross-border banking and finance transactions, and is engaged by Australia's largest banks, borrowers and other entities seeking finance.
Stephen acts for an extensive list of foreign custodians entering into arrangements with local institutions and has advised on structured financing transactions for both lease financiers and lessees. He has significant experience in the development and preparation of documentation of a variety of retail products for banks and other financial institutions, and providing relating regulatory advice to those clients (including on the Consumer Credit Code, industry codes and related statutory regimes). He is also experienced in anti-money laundering compliance and detection.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting on secured and unsecured lending transactions in all industry sectors.
- Advising some of Australia's largest entities on securitisation and receivables financing.
- Assisting Australian banks on standard account terms and the development and preparation of standard documentation of a variety of retail products.
- Advising prominent Australian investment banks on the development of various retail lending products and developing equity-based lending products.
- Acting for foreign custodians entering into arrangements with local institutions, and local custodians on local and off-shore custodian and sub-custodian arrangements.
- Acting on structured financing transactions for both lease financiers and lessees.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Banking Law Association - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (1988)
- University of Technology Sydney (LL.B.) (1987)
- University of Sydney (B.A.) (1975)