Stephen Watts is a partner in the Melbourne office of Baker McKenzie with over 30 years experience in banking and finance practice, including structured finance and financial regulation and compliance. Stephen is recognised for successfully co-ordinating cross-border transactions and regulatory reviews, and is engaged by many financial institutions and related participants in the finance industry operating in Australia and off-shore.
Stephen focuses on providing regulatory advice for clients in the credit and financial services industries where regulated by the RBA, APRA, ASIC or AUSTRAC. Stephen also assists these clients with their documentation and systems requirements and their relationship with suppliers, distributors and co-venturers.
In particular, Stephen is recognised for his many years of experience with electronic payment products, including card payments products, stored value products, e-wallet products, and payment systems. He is also experienced in the related areas of credit reporting and anti-money laundering compliance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting on secured and unsecured lending transactions in all industry sectors.
- Advising some of Australia's largest entities on securitisation and receivables financing.
- Assisting Australian banks on standard account terms and the development and preparation of standard documentation of a variety of retail products.
- Advising prominent Australian investment banks on the development of various retail lending products and developing equity-based lending products.
- Acting for foreign custodians entering into arrangements with local institutions, and local custodians on local and off-shore custodian and sub-custodian arrangements.
- Acting on structured financing transactions for both lease financiers and lessees.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Banking Law Association - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (1988)
- University of Technology Sydney (LL.B.) (1987)
- University of Sydney (B.A.) (1975)