Yumi Watanabe is a member of the Firm's Corporate/M&A Group as a Japanese qualified lawyer in the Tokyo office. She joined Baker McKenzie in 2000, and has almost two decades of legal experience working in Japan and the United States. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked at a US affiliated IT company in Tokyo. Yumi has also been actively involved in pro bono activities at the International Committee of the Tokyo Bar Association since 2010 and the International Relations Committee of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations since 2016. Yumi served as the Senior Researcher (part-time) at the Secretariat of the Personal Information Protection Commission and involved in regulatory authority's works including anonymized data utilization and cross-border data transfer related regulations from April 2017 through September 2018.
Yumi has acted for global companies on their corporate transactions and ongoing corporate law compliance matters. Her practice covers general corporate, M&A, joint ventures, corporate spin-offs and other reorganizations including dissolutions and liquidations. She has also represented a range of IT/C, financial, military, automotive, healthcare and brand companies on their commercial transactions and relevant advisory matters including e-commerce, data privacy, advertising and other consumer protection regulations, as well as whistleblowing, anti-corruption and other compliance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented international military and other technology companies on their corporate restructuring matters including various liquidations and branch closures.
- Represented a US publicly-traded technology company in its joint venture investment with a Japanese solar power business venture company in the US.
- Represented a Japanese listed machinery manufacturing company in its multi-jurisdictional power electronic business acquisition.
- Acted for US publicly-traded IT/C companies on their corporate reorganizational transactions in forms of corporate spin-off and merger.
- Represented a US publicly-traded pharmaceutical company in disputes regarding consumer protections in Japan.
- Advised multinational companies in a wide range of industries including IT/C, financial, automotive, military, healthcare, fashion brands, and consumer-goods industries, on e-commerce, data privacy, advertising and other consumer protection matters, and also assisted on creations of relevant internal rules and agreements.
- Advised leading military and aviation companies on anti-corruption and other compliance matters.
- Advised international companies on doing business in Japan with assistances of local establishments, maintenances and relevant registration filings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Tokyo Bar Association
- Member, Japan Federation of Bar Associations' International Relations Committee, 2016 - Present
- Member,Tokyo Bar Association's International Committee, 2010 - Present
- Vice Chair, Tokyo Bar Association's International Committee, 2013 - 2016
- Sr. Researcher (part-time) at Secretariat of Personal Information Protection Commission (April 2017-September 2018)
- Japan (2000)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LLM) (2006)
- The Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan (Diploma) (2000)
- Chuo University (LLB) (1993)
Author, "Privacy & Data Security Country Profile: Japan," Bloomberg BNA, March 2016
Author, "Japan’s Act on the Protection of Personal Information and My Number Act: New Amendments," World Data Protection Report, Volume 15, Number 9, Bloomberg BNA, September 2015
Co-author, "Global Privacy Handbook 2014 Edition," iapp, March 2014
Presenter, "Recent legal issues and measures regarding personal information protection laws," Kinyuzaimu Kenkyukai Co., Ltd., July 2011
Presenter, "Legal issues, risks and methods to resolve these risks regarding the implementation of cloud computing," Kinyuzaimu Kenkyukai Co.,Ltd., June 2011