David Walter is a partner in the Sydney office of Baker McKenzie, focusing on financial restructuring and insolvency. Since 2012, David has been recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific, Australian Financial Review - Best Lawyers and Legal 500. He publishes and speaks regularly on current issues and emerging trends in the Australian restructuring and insolvency market.
David's practice focuses on contentious and non-contentious financial restructuring and insolvency, for publicly listed and private companies (including private equity portfolio businesses). He has advised stakeholders in informal restructures and formal insolvencies, and is particularly experienced in the real estate, mining and resources, energy, finance, retail, manufacturing and transport sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing Fortress Investment Group on all aspects of the insolvency of the Octaviar group of companies, including complex cross-border and appellate litigation.
- Assisting with the representation of TPG in relation to its successful restructure and acquisition of the multi-billion dollar electricity generation assets of Alinta Energy through creditors scheme of arrangement.
- Assisting with the representation of Altamont Capital Partners on Billabong International’s A$325 million debt refinancing.
- Representing Torchlight Real Estate Fund on its restructure of the secured debt facilities and real estate assets of RCL Group.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) - Member
- Law Council of Australia - Business Law Section - Insolvency and Restructuring Committee
- Australian Restructuring, Insolvency and Turnaround Association - Professional Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2008)
- New South Wales~Australia (2004)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2004)
- University of New South Wales (LL.M.) (2004)
- Macquarie University (Bachelor of Business Administration) (2003)
- Macquarie University (LL.B. Honors) (2003)
Author, "Changing COMI for a creditors scheme: Applying WIND Hellas in Australia?," Corporate Rescue International, December 2011
Author, "Managed investment schemes – suggested reforms the power to appoint a temporary responsible entity," Australian Insolvency Journal, March 2011
Author, "The end of Receivers and Managers and the beginning of a streamlined and collective VA procedure?," Australian Insolvency Journal, March 2010
Author, "Know your personal liabilities: Administrators’ personal liability for employee wages and entitlements," Insolvency Law Journal, 2009
Author, "CDOs as creditors in formal insolvencies," Corporate Rescue International, 2008