Andre Walter is a member of the IT/IP Commercial practice group of Baker McKenzie in Amsterdam. He is a strategic compliance adviser at the data protection and privacy practice and has more than 20 years of industry experience. He managed and advised many projects across various industries, including financial services, manufacturing, healthcare, aviation, telecom, FMCG and retail.
Andre's approach to privacy is holistic and includes legal, business, technical and societal implications of the topic. His main focus is on EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) risk and compliance management, with dedicated expertise on privacy impact assessments, privacy-by-design, data breach handling, cybersecurity, and permission and preference management, including the growing field of Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM) and Personal Information Management Systems (PIMS).
Representative Legal Matters
Andre has a board experience across a number of industries and delivered on, among others, the following assignments:
- Various clients: Set up GDPR governance and compliance frameworks in various sectors of industry, including financial services, manufacturing, healthcare, aviation, telecom, FMCG, logistics, retail.
- International sportswear manufacturer and retailer – Loyalty program review: draft of term and conditions, privacy and cookie notice, consent language and advise on direct marketing and service message communications.
- International hub-airport: Implement a privacy-by-design framework to enable a digital transformation program, agile online solution development and other big-data initiatives.
- Major German car manufacturer: Provide privacy advice across Germany and internationally to formulate a clear privacy strategy and target picture of its marketing analytics program.
- Various identity management and access providers: Business model advice to support IM&A providers to define their role in the (personal) data ecosystem, enabling sustainable data-driven opportunities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- IAPP Fellow of Information Privacy
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/E)
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
- Member of the MBA admission board at the University of Maastricht
- Member of the Citizens' Committee for Development Woerden established with the aim of combating poverty in developing countries
- Tilburg University (Specialization Course GDPR) (2015)
- Maastricht University (MBA International Executive MBA) (2013)
- Osnabrueck University (BSc. Telecommunications) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.