Calvin Walker has more than 20 years experience working in the international project finance market and heads the Global Project Finance practice group. He has been consistently recognized as a leader in his field by legal directories, including Chambers Global, Legal 500, PLC Which Lawyer? and Legal Experts.
Calvin's primary focus is the financing of energy and infrastructure projects in Europe, Middle East, Turkey and Russia/CIS. He acts for sponsors, lenders and governments and advises in the power, oil and gas, LNG, mining and infrastructure sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for Marubeni and Posco Energy on the Morupule B IPP in Botswana.
- Acted for Akbank on the project financing of Petlim Terminal Port, Turkey.
- Acted for Siemens Bank and other commercial lenders on the Adana Hospital IPP, Turkey's first hospital PPP to reach financial close.
- Acting for Kepco on the financing of the USD30 billion 5,600MW Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE.
- Acted for MTR Express (Sweden) on its financing of rolling stock supported by SSRV of Switzerland.
- Acted for the arrangers, Société Générale and RBS, on the USD2.25 billion receivables-backed loan facility for BP Caspian Ltd.
- Acted for Paget Health Services Ltd on the financing of the King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bermuda's first PPP transaction.
- Acted for the arrangers (ABN, Dresdner, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley) on a USD13.1 billion loan facility for Gazprom, at the time, the largest ever syndicated loan for a Russian company.
- Acted for the arrangers (respectively ANZ, RBS, Bank of Tokyo, Mitsubishi and JBIC) on each of the first four independent power and water desalination plants in Qatar, namely Ras Laffan A, Ras Laffan B, RAF B2 and Mesaieed A.
- Acted for ABN and JSC Rosneft on the USD700 million carry financing for ONGC in connection with the acquisition of a 20 percent stake in the Sakhalin 1 Project.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1988)
- Cambridge University (Downing College) (M.A.) (1988)
- College of Law at Guildford (Law Society Finals) (1986)
- Cambridge University (Downing College) (B.A.) (1985)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.