Kirill Vikulov is a senior associate in the Moscow office of Baker McKenzie. He has extensive experience in advising Russian and multinational clients on a wide range of complex tax issues, including M&A deals, joint ventures, international holding and financing structures, and various financial and capital markets transactions.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2007, Kirill worked as a tax consultant in the international tax structuring department of an international audit company.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Severgroup in connection with the acquisition of approx. 40% of shares in the Netologia Group – a Russian IT company specializing on online and offline educational courses and relevant services - and establishment a joint venture with the Netologia Group initial founders.
- Advised Repsol S.A. in connection with establishment of an upstream joint venture with Gazprom Neft. The joint venture company, Eurotek Yugra, owned 75% by Repsol and 25% by Gazprom Neft, owns seven exploratory blocks in West Siberia, a relatively underexplored area of Russia with significant potential. Following completion, Gazprom Neft has an option to increase its stake in Eurotek Yugra to 50%.
- Advised on tax structuring and various tax issues in M&A deals in oil & gas and other industries, including tax structuring for Weatherford International in the approx. USD 450 million acquisition of TNK-BP International’s Oilfield Services Division.
- Advised a major international oil and gas company in structuring a series of multi-billion dollar projects in Russia, including advice on and negotiation of tax-related provisions in SPA, joint venture and other agreements and transaction documents.
- Advised Russian and foreign groups on setting up tax-efficient holding, financing and management structures in the oil and gas, industrial manufacturing, consumer products and retail, real estate, pharmaceuticals, IT and financial services industries.
- Advised on intercompany restructurings for major Russian and foreign groups in view of the recent developments in the Russian so-called "deoffshorization" legislation (i.e., controlled foreign companies rules, beneficial ownership and corporate tax residency based on effective management and control tests) and court practice on thin-capitalisation.
- Advised Russian high net worth individuals on setting up various wealth management and estate planning structures, including structures using foreign trusts and foundations.
- Acting as tax counsel on multiple domestic and cross-border securitisations, including the following recent securitisations of mortgage loan portfolios: RUB 13 billion securitisation for AKB Absolut Bank, RUB 3.3 billion securitisation for AKB Investtradebank, RUB 3 billion securitisation for Asian Pacific Bank.
- Advised on various financial transactions, including acting as tax counsel in connection with the Eurobond issuance of KOKS Group, advised Litnium Investments on tax issues in connection with a secured loan for USD 21 million from Eurohypo AG.
- Advised on tax compliance and developing tax strategies for multinational companies in connection with transfer pricing, tax-efficient refinancing of local operating entities in view of the Russian thin capitalization rules and judicial doctrines of business purpose and economic substance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) - Tax Committee, Co-chair
- Association of European Businesses - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) - Member
- Russian Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Russia (2007)
- MGIMO, Russia (2011)
- MGIMO, Russia (2007)