As part of the Finance and Projects team in Singapore, Prashanth Venkatesh has advised banks and financial institutions in financing and refinancing borrowers with the facilities being used for acquisitions, projects, capital expenditure and working capital. While he works through ASEAN and South Asia, he retains a focus on India.
The RSG India Report 2015 commended Prashanth for being "solution oriented." The India Business Law Journal in its annual Indian report in June 2016 commended Prashanth for being "familiar with both the local and international market."
Prashanth’s practice covers general banking and finance including project finance, acquisition finance, property finance, debt restructuring, derivatives and structured products.
With dual qualifications in India and England & Wales, Prashanth has significant experience in Indian financing transactions assisting sponsors in negotiating leveraged exposure with Indian banks and financial institutions. He has structured debt investments for non-resident clients investing through listed and privately placed securities. He also assisted lenders in financing road, port and renewable energy projects and assisted in structuring debt restructurings of Indian infrastructure companies through the CDR process.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the consortium of lenders in the USD1.5 billion bridge financing extended to ONGC Videsh Vankorneft for its acquisition of a 15 percent equity stake in the Rosneft vehicle controlling the Vankorneft oil field.
- Acted for the lenders in the USD550 million bridge financing of Cipla EU Limited’s acquisition of Invagen Pharmaceuticals Inc and Exelan Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Advised The Blackstone Group on issuing non-convertible debentures for financing the INR870 crore purchase of a controlling stake in the company owning the Indian Express Towers in Mumbai.
- Acted for the BLP Group in financing a INR325 crore wind asset acquisition through a senior rupee financing at the project company, and a mezzanine financing though non-convertible debentures at the holding company.
- Acted for a consortium of lenders led by ICICI Bank and IDBI Bank in the INR1,800 crore refinancing of the financial assistance lent to GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited.
- Acted for a consortium of lenders including Axis Bank and IDFC in financing the toll road and land development projects undertaken by Nandi Economic Corridor Enterprises Limited.
- Advised a consortium of lenders on restructuring the existing liabilities of the Suzlon Group through an issuance of USD647 million offshore bonds by AE-Rotor Holding BV.
- Acted for a variety of banks and borrowers in hedging interest rate and foreign currency exposures relating to loans.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- Bar Council of Delhi
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2008)
- India (2003)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M. Chevening Scholar) (2007)
- National Law School of India (BA, LLB Hons.) (2003)