Ryan Vann primarily practices in the area of labor and employment, representing clients in litigation, counseling and complex corporate transactions. He is actively involved in pro bono matters such as political asylum, juvenile delinquency, parole, and other cases. He received both his B.A. and J.D. (cum laude) from Indiana University – Bloomington and is admitted to practice in Illinois.
Mr. Vann provides sound legal advice on labor relations law, and has extensive experience representing clients in NLRB unfair labor practice proceedings, contractual arbitrations, representation proceedings and labor negotiations. He advises clients during union organizing campaigns, and provides day-to-day labor relations advice arising from mergers, acquisitions and other strategic alliances. Mr. Vann also represents clients in litigation under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the FLSA, the WARN Act, ERISA, ADEA, and various state discrimination laws. He also helps clients achieve and maintain compliance with a wide range of laws affecting executive employment agreements, employee handbooks, employee-related policies, restrictive covenants, and employment applications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managing a company-wide rolling reduction in force of more than 2,000 affected employees on behalf of a substantial multinational risk advisor and insurer (2014-2015).
- Negotiating a collective bargaining agreement on behalf of a nationwide security services company (2014-2015).
- Defending a steel manufacturer in several grievance arbitrations relating to contract interpretation and employee discipline (2012-2015).
- Successfully represented two private ambulance services in union organizing campaigns (2014-2015).
- Advised on labor implications arising from acquisition of a partially unionized workforce in a USD1.3 billion merger (2014).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a manufacturing company in an ADEA suit brought in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania (2014).
- Provided strategic advice regarding the planned merger of two manufacturing operations and workforces with workers represented by different unions (2012-2013).
- Successfully decertified and defended through jury trial a manufacturer in a FLSA donning and doffing case in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2010-2012).
- Managed North American counseling on all day-to-day labor and employment issues and litigation for a global manufacturer (2009-2013).
Rising Star, Employment & Litigation, Super Lawyers Illinois 2016
- Illinois~United States (2006)
- Indiana University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2006)
- Indiana University (B.S. Finance) (2003)