Quentin Vander Schueren is a member of Baker McKenzie's International Commercial Practice Group in Toronto. His practice focuses primarily on customs law, import-export compliance, and trade remedies. Quentin is Chair of the International Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association. He is also a member of the Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters and the Canadian Society of Customs Brokers (CSCB), among others.
Quentin advises clients on Canadian and international trade law matters, including Canadian customs, trade remedies, import-export compliance, controlled goods and technology, Canadian trade sanctions, free trade agreements (NAFTA, CPTPP, CETA, etc.) and other issues impacting the cross-border movement of goods. Quentin helps design optimal strategies for cross-border trade and is experienced in areas related to duties relief, tariff classification and value for duty assessments, rules of origin and tariff preferences.
Quentin also represents clients in trade compliance verifications or audits by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), as well as trade remedy inquiries and customs appeal proceedings before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT).
- Winner, IBA International Sales, Trade, Franchising and Product Law Section, Annual Conference Scholarship Program, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association - Executive (Ontario), International Law Section (2019-Present)
- Ontario Bar Association - Chair, International Law Section (2019-Present)
- Ontario Bar Association - Vice Chair, International Law Section (2018-2019)
- Ontario Bar Association - CPD Liaison, International Law Section (2017-2018)
- Canadian bar Association – Member, National Commodity Tax, Customs and Trade Section
- Canadian Society of Customs Brokers (CSCB)
- Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- University of Ottawa (JD) (2013)
- Concordia University (BComm) (2009)
- Speaker, “Basic: How to Value Your Products (Customs)” (webinar), August 2019
- Co-author, “Canada Expands its Sanctions against Russia for Continued Involvement in the Ukraine Conflict”, March 2019
- Co-chair and Moderator, “Breaking Barriers in Internal Trade: What R. v Comeau and the changing CFTA mean for your client,” Toronto, September 2018
- Co-chair and Moderator, “Packing Your Digital Suitcase - Understanding Your Professional Obligations When Client Data Crosses Borders,” Toronto, April 2018
- Co-chair and Moderator, “The Impact of Blockchain on International Business Law,” Toronto, May 2017