Quentin Vander Schueren is a member of Baker McKenzie's International Commercial Practice Group in Toronto. Quentin has broad experience advising clients on international trade law matters, including Canadian customs, trade remedies and export controls.
Quentin is Chair of the International Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association and is an Officer of the International Bar Association’s Trade and Customs Committee and North American Regional Forum.
Quentin assists clients with a broad variety of Canadian customs law matters, including duties relief, tariff classification, valuation, origin and tariff preference; import-export compliance and disclosures with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA); export controls; controlled goods and technology; Canadian trade sanctions; free trade agreements (NAFTA, CPTPP, CETA, etc.); as well as regulatory issues impacting the cross-border movement of goods.
Quentin also represents clients in trade controversy matters, including compliance verifications or audits by Canada’s customs agency, as well as trade remedy and customs appeal proceedings before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT).
- Recipient, IBA International Sales, Trade, Franchising and Product Law Section, Annual Conference Scholarship, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association - Conference Quality Officer, International Trade and Customs Committee (2020 - Present)
- International Bar Association - Young Lawyers Liaison Officer, North American Regional Forum (2020 - Present)
- Ontario Bar Association - Chair, International Law Section (2019-Present)
- Canadian Bar Association - Executive (Ontario), International Law Section (2019-Present)
- Ontario Bar Association - Vice Chair, International Law Section (2018-2019)
- Ontario Bar Association - CPD Liaison, International Law Section (2017-2018)
- Canadian Bar Association – Member, National Commodity Tax, Customs and Trade Section
- Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- University of Ottawa (JD) (2013)
- Concordia University (BComm) (2009)
- Chair and Moderator, “Incoterms 2020 - An Overview of the New Rules and Related Issues” (webinar), December 2019
- Speaker, “Gender and International Trade: Old Challenges and New Opportunities”, Seoul, September 2019
- Speaker, “Basic: How to Value Your Products (Customs)” (webinar), August 2019
- Co-author, “Canada Expands its Sanctions against Russia for Continued Involvement in the Ukraine Conflict”, March 2019
- Co-chair and Moderator, “Breaking Barriers in Internal Trade: What R. v Comeau and the changing CFTA mean for your client,” Toronto, September 2018
- Co-chair and Moderator, “Packing Your Digital Suitcase - Understanding Your Professional Obligations When Client Data Crosses Borders,” Toronto, April 2018
- Co-chair and Moderator, “The Impact of Blockchain on International Business Law,” Toronto, May 2017
- Chair, “Impacts of Recent International Treaties on Intellectual Property Law,” Toronto, April 2017