Chantél van Zyl is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Practice Group in Johannesburg. She advises lenders and borrowers on various forms of debt finance and assists clients in multijurisdictional financing and related transactions.
Chantél focuses her practice on various forms of debt finance, including project finance, leveraged loan facilities and debt capital markets. She has drafted facility agreements, security documents and other finance documents for various debt finance structures, and counseled project sponsors and finance parties on energy and infrastructure projects, particularly renewable energy projects.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Chantél acted for clients in relation to the following transactions:
- Advised an international company focusing on natural resources development regarding amendments to a EUR550 million facilities agreement and restructuring-related security.
- Advised an international investment bank in relation to USD100 million facilities granted to an international mining company.
- Represented three large national commercial banks in negotiating and drafting various complex agreements in relation to a ZAR4 billion term loan and revolving credit facility to an international group of companies.
- Advised international banks and major corporates with regard to banking, payment systems, capital markets and financial sector regulation.
- Advised domestic and international banks regarding financing arrangements with and the commercial activities of South African state-owned entities.
- Advised financial institutions on the financing of renewable energy projects under the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement (REIPPP) Programme.
- Conducted due diligence for lenders and sponsors in relation to several solar and wind power projects under the third and fourth bid submission rounds of the REIPPP Programme.
- Acted for an international energy company in acquiring partially developed renewable energy projects for the third bid submission round of the REIPPP Programme.
- Advised on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cape Law Society - Member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Stellenbosch (BAcc, LLB) (2011)
- Bucerius Law School (Summer Program International Commercial Law) (2010)