Chantél van Zyl is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Practice Group in Johannesburg. She advises lenders and borrowers in relation to various forms of debt finance and assists clients in undertaking multi-jurisdictional financing transactions and related matters. Chantel also advises clients in relation to the financial sector regulatory framework in South Africa.
Chantél focuses her practice on various forms of debt finance, including project finance, leveraged loan facilities, acquisition finance and debt capital markets. She has experience in drafting facility agreements, security documents and other finance documents for various debt finance structures and has counselled project sponsors and finance parties on energy and infrastructure projects, particularly renewable energy projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an international company specialising in natural resources development regarding amendments to a EUR 550 million facilities agreement and related security pursuant to restructuring of the group.
- Advised an international investment bank in relation to USD 100 million facilities granted to an international mining company.
- Represented three large national commercial banks in negotiating and drafting various complex agreements in relation to a ZAR 4 billion term loan and revolving credit facility to an international group of companies.
- Provided regulatory advice to international banks and major corporates with regard to banking, payment systems, capital markets and financial sector regulation.
- Provided legal opinions and advice to domestic and international banks regarding financing arrangements with and the commercial activities of South African state owned entities.
- Advised financial institutions on the financing of renewable energy projects under the REIPPP Programme.
- Advised both lenders and sponsors in relation to several solar (photovoltaic and concentrated solar power) and wind power projects under bid submission rounds 3 and 4 of the REIPPP Programme by, inter alia, conducting due diligence for compliance with REIPPP Programme requirements and commenting on project documents.
- Acted for an international energy company in acquiring partially developed renewable energy projects with a view to bid submission in round 3 of the REIPPP Programme.
- Advised on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisition transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cape Law Society - Member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Stellenbosch (Bachelors of Accounting and LLB) (2011)
- Bucerius Law School (Summer Program International Commercial Law) (2010)