She advises project sponsors, domestic and international banks, investment firms and borrowers in undertaking multi-jurisdictional financing transactions and related matters. Chantél focuses her practice on various forms of debt finance, including corporate and syndicated facilities, leveraged loan facilities, acquisition finance, trade finance, project finance and debt capital markets. She has counselled project sponsors and finance parties on mining, energy and infrastructure projects, particularly renewable energy projects, as well as commercial projects of South African state owned entities.
Chantel also advises clients in relation to the financial sector regulatory framework in South Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to and since joining the Firm, Chantél acted for clients in relation to the following transactions:
Corporate and syndicated lending
- Advised Sibanye Stillwater Limited and certain of its subsidiaries (an international gold and platinum metals mining group) on South African and English law issues in connection with the refinancing of the group's revolving credit facilities in the amounts of USD 600 million and ZAR 5.5 billion.
- Advised Sibanye Stillwater Limited and certain of its subsidiaries regarding a ZAR 1.372 billion guarantee facility agreement in connection with the silicosis settlement agreement.
- Advised the Aspen Pharmaceuticals group of companies in relation to a Euro 600 million term loan facility and group guarantee with the International Finance Corporation (IFC) as arranger and each of the IFC, Deutsche Investitions- Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft MBH (DEG), Société De Promotion Et De Participation Pour La Coopération Économique (Proparco) S.A. and United States International Development Finance Corporation, as lenders.
- Advised a group of international and domestic banks in relation to the refinancing and restructuring of credit facilities made available to Petra Diamonds Limited, certain of its subsidiaries and BEE affiliates and related security.
- Advised Aspen Pharmacare Group in relation to the refinancing of ZAR, Euro and AUD denominated term and revolving credit facilities provided by a syndicate of domestic and international lenders to borrowers in South Africa, Mauritius and Australia.
- Advised an international syndicate of lenders in relation to USD 1.43 billion credit facilities provided to Ziraat Bank (Turkey).
- Advised a South African treasury company, drafted and negotiated a bilateral term loan facility agreement for the amount of ZAR 750 million with Investec Bank Limited.
- Represented Bank of America Merrill Lynch International Limited and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd. as Agent on behalf of a syndicate of international lenders with respect to a syndicated USD700 million dual currency loan for FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its London branch).
- Advised a consortium of banks in respect of the local law aspects on various syndicated term loan facilities made available to Investec Bank Limited from time to time.
- Advised a South African bank as lender in relation to the refinancing and extension of a ZAR 1.05 billion facilities agreement and related security made available to a Namibian beverage manufacturing company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cape Law Society - Member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Stellenbosch (Bachelors of Accounting and LLB) (2011)
- Bucerius Law School (Summer Program International Commercial Law) (2010)