Astrid van Ommeren is a counsel in the Amsterdam Employment & Benefits Team with over 15 years of experience. She co-heads the Amsterdam Pensions Industry Group and is a member of the International Pensions Group and Financial Institutions Group of Baker McKenzie. She has substantial experience in cross-border transactions, executive pay, pensions, restructurings, dismissals and dealing with works councils and trade unions. Astrid's work includes managing often sensitive Dutch employment and pension law issues for multinationals, including pension and labor market reforms and negotiations and litigation with works councils and trade unions on these reforms.
Astrid currently advises many clients on de-risking their collective pension plans, which is critical for companies that still have DB schemes. She also advises on pension plan renewals and (re)design, participation in mandatory industry-wide pension funds (including dispensation), indexation, age discrimination, compliance, data privacy and FinTech-related issues. Astrid also has broad experience in advising on the employment and pension aspects of M&A transactions and is experienced in working in international and multidisciplinary teams. She manages the employment and pension due diligence work stream, drafts HR-related provisions in SPAs, leads on employee consultation issues with works councils and trade unions, advises on executive remuneration and retention schemes, and provides post-acquisition integration support. She has a particular focus on the financial and energy sector and regularly works with large industrials. During her career, she has been seconded to ABN Amro Bank and has worked in the UK and Singapore.
Representative Legal Matters
During 2017/2016, Astrid advised, among others, on the following cases:
- BusItalia on the employment and pension aspects of its acquisition of Qbuzz.
- Blokker on the employment and pension aspects of the sale of Leen Bakker to Gilde Equity Management.
- FedEx on the pension aspects, design and implementation of the post-acquisition integration of FedEx and TNT operations.
- Chesnara on the employment and pension aspects of the acquisition of Legal & General Nederland.
- Nippon Electric Glass on the employment and pension aspects of the acquisition of PPG Industries Fiber Glass.
- The shareholders of TenICT on the pension aspects of the sale of TenICT to AnylinQ.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Women in Institutional Pensions (ViiP)
- Netherlands (2001)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (Post Graduate Employment Law) (2006)
- University of Amsterdam (LLM Dutch Law) (2000)
- University of Amsterdam (LLM Dutch Tax Law) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.