Sharon van Norden is a legal director in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Amsterdam. In 2016, Sharon worked in the Disputes team in the London office.
Sharon is a member of the global Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group and chairs the Amsterdam Healthcare Industry Group.
Sharon is also a member of the global Product and Operational Risk and Practice Group and has a special focus on Product Recalls.
Sharon advises and represents multinational corporate clients in relation to cross border commercial disputes and liability cases including employer's liability and product liability. She is an experienced litigator and arbitrator. She regularly deals with the Dutch inspectorates and regulators on a broad range of topics, including product and food safety, pharma & medical devices and working conditions.
Sharon’s product safety and liability practice involves representing and advising international manufacturers, distributors and suppliers from varied market sectors in relation to product safety measures (including recalls) and notification obligations. She is a trusted advisor in coordinating and handling all aspects in case of a potential unsafe product, including crisis management, implementing a corrective action plan, notifying regulators (including RAPEX) and planning and preparing for eventual civil litigation.
Furthermore, Sharon has a specific expertise in advising multinational pharma and medtech clients on Dutch compliance and regulatory rules, including rules on licenses, clinical trials, pharmacovigilance and promotional activities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Coordinating and guiding a multijurisdictional product recall including notifying the relevant authorities and crisis management
- Representing a corporate client in court with regard to a (cross border) dispute about the termination of a distribution agreement
- Representing a corporate client in court with regard to a (cross border) dispute about the termination of a franchise agreement
- Advising a corporate client about employer's liability and regulatory requirements in a personal injury case, representing the client in negotiations with the employee and representing the client with regard to the Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate's actions in relation to the worker's conditions
- Advising and representing a corporate client on an asbestos claim and deal with the Dutch Asbestos Institute
- Advising and representing the consequences of a corporate client's liability on several aspects as a result of the release of asbestos including coordinating crisis management, negotiate with governmental authorities and claimants
- Advising and assisting a global insurance company on drafting policy conditions for new policies
- Representing international insurance companies in court and before the Financial Services Complaints Board regarding policy disputes
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten) - Member
- Young Insurance Network Group - Member
- Dutch Bar Association (Nederlanse Orde van Advocaten) (2011)
- Grotius Academy (Post Graduate Corporate Liability Law) (2016)
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (Master's degree in civil law) (2010)
- Organizer, "Hot in Healthcare", 2019 and 2020
- Organizer, "Baker and Bites", 2017-2018
- Speaker, "Recall Roadshow", February 2018
- Speaker, "Director’s liability" and "Power of Attorney", Baker & Bites, April 2017
- Author, "Why are manufacturers launching clinical trials for gene therapy outside the Netherlands?", Lexology 2020
- Author, "The impact of DNB's Good Practices regarding fiscal risk on the relation between a bank and its clients", MvV 2019/12