Hugo van der Molen is a legal director within the Amsterdam Banking & Finance practice and focuses on international capital markets transactions and the changing regulatory landscape for both banks and corporate issuers. Hugo primarily works for financial institutions and large corporate entities. He has received various honorable mentions in recent years for his work including from Chambers and Partners and IFLR1000. Hugo previously worked at a magic circle law firm for almost a decade and has in the past been seconded as in-house legal counsel to Dutch lenders ABN AMRO and ING.
Hugo is a highly experienced lawyer who is knowledgeable in a broad scope of international debt capital markets offerings, including (CRD compliant) bank capital, EMTN programmes, Green / ESG bonds, securitizations and corporate hybrid offerings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Joint Lead Managers on LeasePlan Corporation N.V.'s issuance of EUR 1 billion Green Bonds.
- Advised the Joint Lead Managers on various RMBS issuances by Dutch Property Finance entities with RNHB B.V. acting as originator of the underlying buy-to-let mortgage loans (2017-2021).
- Advised the Joint Lead Managers on de Volksbank's successful inaugural issuance of EUR 500 million subordinated Tier 2 green bonds (2020).
- Advised the Province of Noord Brabant on its convertible hybrid shareholder loan to Enexis Holding N.V. (2020).
- Advised the Joint Lead Managers on NIBC's successful issuance of EUR 300 million debut senior non-preferred notes (2019).
- Advised ABN AMRO and Rabobank on a new type of bank bonds: 'senior non-preferred notes' (2018).
- Advised ABN AMRO on offering of USD 1.5 billion RegS CRD IV compliant Tier 2 capital instruments on Asian and European markets (2017).
- Rising Star in Capital markets - Debt, IFLR1000, 2020
- Associate to Watch in Capital Markets: Debt - Netherlands, Chambers and Partners, 2019, 2020
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2011)
- University of Groningen (Master's Degree Law) (2011)
- University of Groningen (Bachelor's Degree American Studies) (2011)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.