Morné van der Merwe is the managing partner of Baker McKenzie's Johannesburg office and heads its Corporate and M&A Practice Group.
He is recognised as a leading lawyer in South Africa by Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR1000.
Morné routinely assists clients in matters involving public and private mergers and acquisitions, securities law, mining transactions, Black Economic Empowerment transactions, capital markets, corporate finance and structuring, leveraged and management buy-outs and private equity transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a food manufacturing company on the divestment of its business in South Africa.
- Advised the subsidiary of an international services, trading and distribution company on its acquisition of an insurance company.
- Advised the subsidiary of a conglomerate company on its agreement of acquisition with an investment company.
- Advised the subsidiary of a conglomerate company on the disposal of 51% of shares in its construction and engineering business.
- Acted for Daimler, Mercedes Benz South Africa and Sandown Motor Holdings in a transaction whereby the fleet management company, Super Group, acquired Mercedes-Benz dealerships and property in the Western Cape province.
- Represented the Bidvest Group as the seller of ordinary shares in the Bid Corporation via an accelerated book build with Standard Bank and Merrill Lynch as the managers of the book build.
- Advised Glendal Trading on the purchase of shares in Jindal Steel & Power (Mauritius) with the intention of further share purchases and the development of coal and power assets.
- Advised on one of the largest private power projects currently under development in Africa, a 2500MW coal-fired power plant and coal mine in Botswana (Mmamabula).
- Advised Pan African Resources in relation to the conclusion of a Term Sheet with a Senegalese entity in relation to funding exploration in relation to a gold mine in Senegal and containing an option to purchase at least 51% of the Senegalese entity in the future.
- Advised Hansen & Genwest on the BEE restructuring whereby a BEE Trust, benefitting the historically disadvantaged employees of Kopex Holdings, acquired 26% of the issued share capital in Kopex Holdings.
- Band 3, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- Ranked in Legal 500 for Corporate/M&A and Mining, 2016
- Leading Lawyer, IFLR1000, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (1995)
- Stellenbosch University (LL.B.) (1993)
- Stellenbosch University (B.A.) (1991)