Christiaan van der Meer joined Baker McKenzie in 2005, where he is a Partner in the Firm's Amsterdam office practicing EU / Dutch competition law and international trade law. He has worked in the European & Competition Law Practice of the Firm’s Brussels office between 2009 and 2012. Christiaan currently heads the Compliance & Investigations Group of the Amsterdam office.
Christiaan's practice focuses on competition law and international trade law. He has significant experience in advising on a range of competition law issues, including cartels, abusive conduct of dominant undertakings and merger control. He acts for complainants and defendants in investigations, and represents clients in merger control proceedings before the Dutch Authority for Consumers & Markets (ACM) and EU Commission. Christiaan is also seasoned in dealing with EU export control and trade compliance matters, including dawn raid assistance, conducting internal audits and defending clients in investigations by regulatory authorities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised APG Asset Management on the acquisition of 50% in a newly formed joint venture with Royal KPN N.V. on the rollout of fiber in the Netherlands
- Advised De Heus with its acquisition of Van Miert poultry
- Obtaining merger control clearance from the ACM and EU Commission for clients operating in a wide range of industries, including financial services, pharmaceuticals, logistics, media and energy
- Representing clients in cartel investigations by the ACM and EU Commission, including the preparation of leniency applications
- Defending an automotive company in investigations by the ACM into its alleged abuse of a dominant position
- Representing an energy company before the EU General Court in its appeal of a EU Commission decision ordering the recovery of state aid, resulting in annulment of that decision
- Defending a global technology company in investigations by the ACM into its alleged violation of Dutch telecom regulations, securing dismissal of the case
- Representing multinational companies in investigations by Dutch Customs concerning possible EU export control violations
- Representing employees of a major financial institution in investigations by financial authorities in the Netherlands, UK and US
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Competition Law Association
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2006)
- Maastricht University (2004)
- University of Amsterdam
- University of British Columbia
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.