Robert van Agteren has 25 years of experience in the Dispute Resolution and Restructuring & Insolvency practices, chaired the Dispute Resolution team for 10 years and currently heads Baker McKenzie Amsterdam's R&I practice.
Robert started his career in Rotterdam in the contentious maritime and international trade practice and continued his cross border disputes work when he joined the Baker McKenzie Amsterdam in 2001 and became a partner in 2005. Subsequently, Robert developed the Amsterdam office R&I practice. Both Chambers & Partners highly regard Robert's work in both the Dispute Resolution and R&I practice areas.
Robert's mixed practice and skills enable him to focus on contentious restructurings and restructuring work, both on the debtor side as well as on creditor side.
Robert's R&I experience ranges from restructuring multibillion CMBS structures, litigation for Ad Hoc bond holder groups in contentious restructurings, Lender representation in distressed situation and debtor representation in multi jurisdictional restructurings. Robert is also active in the Dutch market, representing real estate investment companies, investment funds, banks and alternative lenders.
Robert's disputes experience covers international big pharma arbitration and other commercial disputes. He also has broad experience in corporate litigation (including Enterprise Chamber litigation) and multi-jurisdiction litigation, while he has also represented clients before before the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg as well as in courts in several foreign jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Represented the Note Trustee in the Uni-Invest 1.5 billion CMBS restructuring
- Represented the Ad Hoc bond holders committee before the Dutch courts in three instances in Oi Brazil's multi billion global restructuring
- Represented a multi billion Euro real estate investment group in distress during the global financial crisis and ensured a successful restructuring
- Represented Mexx and its Board members during its insolvency and restructuring
- Represented investment fund in its acquisition of a distressed global fashion brand
- Represented Pfizer in ICC arbitration proceedings against Israeli distributor
- Represented Bain subsidiary as lead counsel of international coatings manufacturer in parallel litigations and injunctions in US and the Netherlands as well as parallel ICC arbitration in Paris
- Represented a Dutch based multinational off-shore construction company in court proceedings and arbitration regarding an off-shore wind farm construction (Netherlands Arbitration Institute)
- Represented VolkerWessesl (the largest Dutch multinational construction company listed on the Amsterdam Exchange Euronext) in various matters, including with respect to restructuring several joint ventures and advised the company creditor side in various restructuring matters
- Represented a major Japanese Industrial conglomerate in international arbitration proceedings (Netherlands Arbitration Institute)
- Chambers and Partners (Tier 2 Dispute Resolution since 2018) reports that Robert "advises on a wide range of contentious matters, including disputes related to corporate and contractual agreements, compliance issues and cases related to restructuring and insolvency. Clients praise him for being "very pragmatic, direct and very effective" and as "a chess player, always one step ahead of the other side".
- Legal500 rated BakerMcKenzie Dispute Resolution in the Netherlands as ‘very responsive and knowledgeable’, and considered it an ‘excellent’ group that handles a broad range of corporate and commercial litigation, including Supreme Court matters. In the Restructuring & Insolvency area, Robert has earned a Tier 2 ranking as well (Legal500, 2018, 2019).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Association for Corporate Litigation
- Netherlands Association for Comparative & International Insolvency Law (NACIIL)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2001)
- Rotterdam~Netherlands (1996)
- Grotius Post Graduate Program (Corporate Litigation) (2005)
- Grotius Post Graduate Program (Transport and International Trade) (1999)
- Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (1996)
- University of North Carolina (1995)