Robert van Agteren has over 20 years of experience in the dispute resolution and restructuring practice. He joined the Dispute Resolution team of Baker McKenzie Amsterdam in 2001, and became partner in 2005. Subsequently, he developed the Amsterdam office’s restructuring capability. Robert is recognized in Legal 500 for his work on restructuring work. Both Legal 500 and Chambers recognize Robert for his dispute resolution capabilities.
Robert's experience ranges from restructuring EUR1.5 billion CMBS structures to international big pharma arbitration and other commercial disputes. He also has broad experience in corporate litigation (including Enterprise Chamber litigation), multi-jurisdiction litigation and debt restructuring matters. He has also argued cases before the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg as well as in courts in several foreign jurisdictions. Injunctive relief procedures are a particular focus of his practice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a German stock listed power plant manufacturer in arbitration in a dispute with a subcontractor.
- Represented a multinational coatings manufacturer in parallel litigations in US and Amsterdam as well as parallel arbitration in Paris.
- Represented a big pharma company in an international ICC arbitration.
- Advised in multi-jurisdiction debt restructuring of international auto parts manufacturer.
- Advised stakeholders in the Uni-Invest CMBS with respect to the restructuring.
- Advised multinational mining conglomerate on its debt restructuring.
- Represented US stock listed technology company in obtaining injunctive relief proceedings before the Dutch courts.
- Represented UK stock listed food and beverage company in injunctive relief proceedings before the Dutch courts.
- Represented various investors and funds in proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeals.
- Represented various US stock listed as well as Dutch companies in relation to international trade sanctions related injunctive relief proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Association for Corporate Litigation
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2001)
- Rotterdam~Netherlands (1996)
- Grotius Post Graduate Program (Corporate Litigation) (2005)
- Grotius Post Graduate Program (Transport and International Trade) (1999)
- Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (1996)
- University of North Carolina (1995)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.