Carlos Valencia is a partner in the Corporate/M&A Practice Group in the Firm's Mexico City office. Mr. Valencia has been recognized multiple times by prestigious publications such as Chambers Latin America and Chambers Global, Legal 500 Latin America, LatinLawyer 250, and Best Lawyers in Mexico for his work in the M&A and corporate practice and in the telecom industry.
Mr. Valencia advises publicly traded and private domestic and transnational companies on corporate and business matters in the areas of M&A, foreign investment, joint ventures, corporate and securities, licensing and distribution agreements. He represents clients in restructuring and reorganization transactions, and public and private project financing. Mr. Valencia also represents clients in regulatory matters, including antitrust, foreign investment and regulated areas such as technology, media and telecommunications. He has also participated in different capacities in four of the five most relevant cross-border restructuring processes since the promulgation of the Ley de Concursos Mercantiles.
Representative Legal Matters
Cross-border M&A, Joint Ventures and Transactional
- Acted as Mexican counsel to a global telecommunications and IT conglomerate in connection with the design and implementation of a joint venture in Mexico, and subsequent divestiture.
- Acted as Mexican counsel to one of the largest retailers of aftermarket tires for cars, trucks and SUVs on the negotiations related to its efforts to sell the company to an investment fund.
- Counseled an international industrial mining corporation in the acquisition of the mines division from the largest Mexican glassmaker, including regulatory aspects and foreign investment and antitrust issues.
- Acted as Mexican counsel to a global provider of pigment dispersion solutuions in connection with a Mexico acquisition.
- Acted as Mexican counsel to a global manufacturer of synthetic rubber in a joint venture with the world's largest producer of carbon black; advised on foreign investment and the negotiation of ancillary agreements.
- Acted as Mexican counsel to a global telecommunications company in connection with its regulatory matters, privatization analysis of the Mexican government owned company and application for a telecommunications concession.
- Advised an important Mexican telecommunications company in transactional, corporate, M&A and regulatory matters, including the application for and obtainment of its telecom carrier's license, private project financing, floating of bonds in the US market, debt restructuring and related antitrust matters, and regulatory aspects of cloud and broadband services.
- Lead counsel to the new carriers entering the Mexican market in the negotiation of the first ever interconnection agreement with the incumbent telecommunications carrier.
- Acted as Mexican counsel to the board of a major Mexican glass and ceramics manufacturer in connection with aspects of the general restructuring of its debt; and subsequently acted as Mexican counsel to the company on specific transactional and corporate matters.
- Acted as Mexican counsel to two US-based bank trustees in the reorganization and restructuring of various Mexican companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Appleseed Mexico - Board Member
- Mexican Bar Association - Former Chair, Telecommunications Committee
- American Bar Association - International Law and Practice Section
- University of Texas Ex Students Association, Mexico City Chapter - Past President
- Texas Advisory Board
- US-Mexico Law Institute
- Mexican Confederation of Chamber of Industry
- Mexican Mediation Institute
- University of Florida School of Law - Visiting Professor
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico City - Assistant Professor
- Phi Delta Phi - International Legal Honor Society (Gustavo R Velascon Inn) - Past President
- Harvard Leadership Program
- Mexico (1978)
- University of Texas School of Law (Master of Comparative Jurisprudence) (1981)
- Georgetown University Law Center (OPAL) (1980)
- Escuela Libre de Derecho (J.D.) (1978)
- St. John's Military Academy (M.A.) (1972)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.