Kitipong Urapeepatanapong, chairman of the Firm’s Bangkok office, is the head of the Financial Services Division and the local Tax Practice Group. He began his career as a general commercial and tax lawyer more than 30 years ago, and is now a recognized author of noted books on mergers and acquisitions, tax planning and corporate governance in Thailand. His standing in the Thai legal community is illustrated by his appointment as a key external adviser on amendments to Thailand’s bankruptcy regime.
Mr. Urapeepatanapong has gained extensive experience in tax planning in the course of his career in Thailand and while working in the Firm’s Singapore office. He provides legal and tax advice on matters related to mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and securitization, as well as restructuring and insolvency. Mr. Urapeepatanapong has acted as director of one of the largest government-owned banks in Thailand, and has assisted numerous multinational corporations with tax planning. He has also provided sound and insightful counsel to government agencies on legal matters related to his areas of practice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised major Thai commercial banks concerning the issuance and sale of SLIPS and CAPS.
- Provided advice concerning the issuance of convertible debentures offered to foreign investors in Thai finance and securities companies, property development companies, and telecommunications companies.
- Acted for a Thai commercial bank in its re-capitalization plan, which included a capital increase, share subscription and private placement for foreign investors.
- Acted for a US consumer finance group in its proposed merger and acquisition with a leading Thai finance company.
- Acted as tax adviser for a large number of US and European companies on ESOPs and M&A transactions.
- Provided legal services for the establishment of asset management companies to help manage non-performing loans transferred from two Thai financial institutions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1978)
- University of British Columbia (LL.M.) (1987)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.M.) (1983)
- Institute of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1976)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B., Honors) (1976)