Sheik Umar is a member of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Singapore. Before joining the Firm in March 2011, he had practiced in two of Singapore’s largest dispute resolution firms.
He has acted in numerous international arbitration and litigation disputes. He also routinely acts for accused persons on a pro bono basis through the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme and for legally aided individuals through the Legal Aid Bureau.
Sheik's practice is broad, and he has advised and represented parties in shareholders’ disputes, infrastructure, construction and oil & gas disputes, M&A and corporate disputes, and IP and IT disputes. He has been involved in international arbitrations from the major arbitral rules including ICC, SIAC and SCMA. He has appeared in all levels of the Singapore courts.
He also has experience in non-contentious work, having advised on construction, IP and IT related matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Infrastructure & Construction
- Acted for a leading Asian builder in construction adjudications relating to claims arising out of various large projects, including a medical complex and a gas-powered power plant.
- Obtained a favorable award for a marine services company in a Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration proceeding against a shipyard for delay claims. Claims and counterclaims total approximately USD 181 million.
Energy, Oil & Gas
- Obtained a favorable award for the owner and operator of a power plant in Central Asia in ICC arbitration proceedings against a statutory authority for sums in excess of USD 50 million due under a power purchase agreement.
- Advised the employers of a Mongolian wind farm project over disputes with their contractors.
IP & IT
- Successfully acted for the Government of Singapore in a patent infringement claim brought in relation to the use of various technologies in a military mobile medical vehicle.
- Acted for an international software payment solutions provider in an SIAC arbitration against a major Singapore electronic payments service provider for wrongful termination of a multimillion-dollar project to migrate their existing payments platform.
- Acted for sellers of a cosmetics company against claims by the buyer, a Korean conglomerate, in an ICC arbitration. Obtained an award for approximately USD 50 million.
- Acted for sellers of a Thai concrete company against claims by the buyer in an SIAC arbitration. Claims and counterclaims total USD 8 million.
- Obtained a worldwide Mareva injunction against a former director of a company accused of misappropriating SGD 11.86 million.
- Represented one of the world's largest lessors of Boeing aircrafts in court proceedings against a Thai-based airline for the detention and delivery of an aircraft.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- Law Society Civil Practice Committee
- Law Society Criminal Legal Aid Scheme Committee
- Law Society Probate Practice & Succession Planning Committee
- Law Society of Singapore
- LCIA’s Yong International Arbitration Group
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore (2007)
- National University of Singapore