Oscar Trelles is a partner at Estudio Echecopar. Chambers Latin America ranks him as a foreign expert in US law and as a Corporate/M&A lawyer, noting that he is "an excellent leader in complex projects. We are highly impressed by the quality and service with which he has provided us." They added, "he brings impressive experience and maturity to our deals." Prior to joining the Firm, he worked in New York as a member of the Latin America practice group of Curtis, Mallet–Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP with a special focus on energy projects. He also worked in the corporate Latin America practice group of Simpson Thacher & Barlett LLP where he participated in sophisticated transactions across multiple jurisdictions. Oscar is a professor of M&A and Project Finance at the graduate school of law of the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru.
Oscar focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, mining, project finance and financings. His experience includes acquisitions and sales of corporations, assets and stock participations. He has been involved in several domestic and international issuances under Rule 144A and Regulation S, as well as in project finance and financing transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the lenders on the cross collateralization transaction of two international credit facilities in a total of USD 550 million, in connection with the Constancia mine from Hudbay Peru SAC.
- Advised the seller on the Peruvian components of the USD 4 billion carve out and sale of the network power business of an American multinational corporation to Platinum Equity.
- Advised Parque Arauco SA, through its Peruvian subsidiary Inmuebles Comerciales del Peru SAC, on its acquisition of an equity package representing 100% of the capital stock of Ekimed SAC (a company with an enterprise value of USD 98 million).
- Advised a private equity fund on its acquisition of Compañia Latinoamericana de Radiodifusion S.A., a leading broadcasting company.
- Advised Cardero del Peru SAC on the sale of the mining concessions from Pampa de Pongo to Jinzhao Mining Peru SA, a company part of a Chinese conglomerate for USD 100 million.
- Advised a group of investment funds on its acquisition of a major player in the home improvement business for approximately USD 123 million.
- Advised on the mezzanine acquisition international financing for USD 50 million with pay-in-kind (PiK) and equity kicker components.
- Advised Peruana de Energia SAA on its sale of a relevant participation and investment and shareholders' agreements with Alupar Investimento SA to develop the USD 105 million La Virgen Project, a 64 MW hydroelectric generation plant.
- Advised Linea Amarilla SAC on an international project finance, for approximately USD 82 million in bank loans and USD 424 million in variable funding notes issued under Regulation S, for the construction of the Via Parque Rimac highway project, a concession granted by the Lima Metropolitan Municipality.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lima Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Peru (2004)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (2007)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (LL.B. summa cum laude) (2004)
Estudio Echecopar is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein