Matt is an associate and solicitor-advocate in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team based in London. He advises clients on a broad spectrum of complex, high-value international litigation, regulatory investigations and compliance.
Aside from his corporate work, Matt has handled pro bono projects, acting for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in a Court of Appeal intervention. He has worked with the Public International Law & Policy Group, assisting with the drafting of a memorandum on the nature of national states and constitutions for use by Nepal and assisting with a report on genocide and the Sudan, among others. He authored a report for the Human Rights Institute of the Paris Bar on the jurisprudence of the Court of Arbitration for Sport relating to the World Anti-Doping Agency regulations.
Matt is also a founding trustee of the charity Universal Chance.
Matt has considerable experience across a number of sectors, including financial services, technology and sport. He has gained in-house experience during secondments at Standard Chartered Bank and Three.
In addition to his contentious experience, Matt has advised clients in relation to issues of governance and controls, particularly in relation to anti-bribery and corruption and anti-money laundering. Matt also gained experience in US litigation and regulatory investigations during a one-year secondment to Baker McKenzie’s New York office. The mix of in-house and private practice experience that Matt has gained enables him to provide clear, concise advice and commercial solutions to the myriad issues that clients face.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a large international bank in a three-week Commercial Court trial in a successful defense of a multi-million-pound claim by mezzanine lenders relating to the actions the bank took in its role as security trustee in the restructuring of a large multinational group and the enforcement of the security held by the senior lenders, and defending the English proceedings. The work involved co-ordaining with counsel in Germany and Luxembourg to defend parallel proceedings in those jurisdictions.
- Acting for a large international bank in proceedings in the English court, enforcing a USD 600 million New York judgment against a large Indian group, which resulted from its default under a syndicated loan facility. This involved advising on complex areas of enforcement of judgments, including questions of priority and process relating to charging orders and sale orders over the shares in a multi-billion-pound company.
- Acting for a global luxury cosmetics company in managing its defense to a competition claim brought in the High Court by an Internet-only distributor relating to the legality of its selective distribution system. This included acting as advocate in an interim application.
- Acting for a sports management agency in negotiations with the family of an F1 driver regarding collaboration over potential claims to be made against various defendants relating to a racing accident and resulting injuries suffered by the F1 driver.
- Advising an asset management and commodity trading firm and, subsequently, its liquidators in relation to a EUR 20 million fraud that the company suffered. This work included liaising with counsel in Hong Kong, Greece, Dubai and the US in order to obtain freezing and disclosure orders and attempts to trace the proceeds of the fraud.
- Acting for a clinical research organization in a multi-million-pound Commercial Court claim brought by a pharmaceutical company. The claim involved allegations of deceit and conspiracy. The work included responding to a freezing injunction and preparing for a five-week trial.
- Acting for a Russian oligarch in, and ultimately successfully obtaining the discontinuance of, a claim brought by another Russian national in the Commercial Court, including contesting the jurisdiction of the Commercial Court to adjudicate the claim.
- Acting and achieving a favorable settlement for a large construction company in an UNCITRAL arbitration brought by the facilities management provider relating to alleged changes to their obligations for servicing a hospital built as a PPP project.
- Acting and ultimately achieving settlement for a large oil field service company in a multimillion-pound litigation claim against a supplier relating to defective products in the Technology and Construction Court.
- Representing a spread-betting company in an action against a major debtor to recover the debt in insolvency proceedings This culminated in acting for the company during a successful 15-day trial.
- Acting for a Middle-Eastern royal in defense of a GBP 35 million fraud claim in the Commercial Court by a wealthy Saudi family.
- Advising an international technology consultancy firm in a dispute with a major client in the telecommunications sector relating to the entire global relationship between the parties.
- Advising a Premier League footballer regarding a defamation claim against another Premier League footballer relating to statements made about a violent incident between the two players.
- Acting for a global investment bank on a major internal competition, regulatory and disciplinary investigation into forex and other financial products. The investigation covered conduct across the globe, including EMEA, the Americas and APAC. This included the review of hundreds of thousands of documents, managing a team of 25 to conduct the EMEA aspect of the investigation, interviews and coordinating reporting to various regulators and national authorities.
- Acting for a global technology company on a major post-acquisition investigation into the acquired company's business with governments in Africa, including bribery and corruption concerns, involving possible Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Bribery Act jurisdiction. The work also included designing and implementing a compliance program and policies for the acquired company to ensure it had adequate procedures in place to prevent or mitigate future issues.
- Acting for a large international bank in a number of internal investigations into the conduct of traders in its global credit trading business. This included managing a team of 20 to conduct the investigation and conducting interviews.
- Advising a major F1 team on various regulatory issues and disputes, including compliance with the Formula One Teams Association and Concorde Agreements, product liability, the right of veto of one F1 team over new regulations and a dispute with a potential investor.
- Acting for a large telecommunications firm in relation to a claim against Ofcom in the Competitions Appeal Tribunal regarding a price control for wholesale services set by Ofcom.
- Nottingham Law School (L.P.C.) (2006)
- Nottingham Law School (Graduate Diploma Law) (2005)
- University of Sheffield (Bachelor of Arts History and Politics ) (2004)
- New York