Isabel Torres Argáez
Isabel Torres is an M&A senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Bogota office. She joined the Firm in 2021.As a lawyer who graduated from the Universidad de Los Andes, she began her work experience in 2008. She holds a master's degree in private law, postgraduate degrees in commercial law and in financial regulation from the Universidad de los Andes. She also holds a finance certificate from the Universidad de la Sabana and a professional certificate from the Negotiation and Leadership Program from Harvard Law School.
Before joining Baker McKenzie, she served as senior associate of the corporate and mergers and acquisitions team at Posse Herrera Ruiz (2018) and at Philippi, Prietocarrizosa, Ferrero DU & Uría (2013). She led the legal team of a local family office whose investments focused on the oil and gas sector (2016) and was the legal affairs manager at the Latin American Reserve Fund (2012). Isabel also worked at the Colombian Securities Exchange (2009) and at Fiduciaria Bogotá (2008).
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the firm, Isabel participated in several multijurisdictional transactions, some of which have set market precedents:
- Advised the Colombian Ministry of Finance in the sale of 51.4% stake in Interconexión Eléctrica (ISA) to Ecopetrol.
- Advised Sociedad de Activos Especiales (SAE) in the first process of "early disposal" with respect to 33.329% of the shares of Enertolima.
- Advised Scotiabank in sale of Colfondos to the Chilean Pension Fund Administrator Habitat.
- Advised AUTECO structuring and carrying out a spin-off from which the subsidiaries Auteco Mobility, Soltrech and Synergix were born.
- Advised to SoftwareONE AG, in the acquisition of IGS Services, InterGrupo holding company.
- Advised the former shareholders in the sale of the SAVE Combustibles S.A.S. a fuel distributor company to the Swiss company Puma Energy Services Latam LLC.
- Advised Fundación Cardiovascular de Colombia in the assets sale to GSRVC HOLDINGS, LTD (affiliate of GOLDMAN SACHS).
- Advised the former shareholders in the sale of OPL group companies to the private equity fund MAS Colombia-LATAM.
- Advised the Private Equity Fund Darby Colpatria in the purchase from Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. of its transportation rights and 5% of the equity in OCENSA.
- Advised Mubadala Investment Company (Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund) in the restructuring of its investment in the companies of the Eike Batista group (EBX) and in the acquisition of the mining companies AUX, of the EBX group.
- Colombia (2008)
- Harvard Law School (Certificate in the Negotiation and Leadership Program) (2017)
- Universidad de los Andes (Master's degree in private law) (2012)
- Universidad de La Sabana (Finance certificate) (2011)
- Universidad de los Andes (Postgraduate degree in commercial law) (2010)
- Universidad de los Andes (Postgraduate degree in financial regulation) (2009)
- Universidad de los Andes (J.D.) (2008)
- Co-author, "International Securities Law Handbook 4th Edition" World Law Group, Kluwer Law International, 2014
- Author, "Gobierno corporativo, plan de sostenibilidad en las startups" Diario la República, January 29, 2021
- Author, "¿Tienen futuro las sociedades BIC en Colombia?" Diario la República, may 6, 2019
- Author, "Retos de la regulación de crowdfunding" Diario la República, January 21, 2019
- Author, "Reforma al régimen de conflictos de interés" Diario la República, September 10, 2015
- Author, "Código País: gobierno corporativo en el mercado de valores local" Diario la República, September 13, 2014