Juan Carlos Tornel is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Information Technology and Communications Practice Group in Mexico City. He mainly advises on technology, telecommunications, and general corporate and contractual law.
Juan Carlos has more than 10 years of legal experience, particularly in corporate, commercial and transactional law, corporate governance and M&A. He is also knowledgeable about the legal aspects involved in public procurement-related projects. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he led the legal in-house department of a top Fortune 500 technology company.
Juan Carlos has a strong multidisciplinary legal and commercial background. He has helped companies identify and address corporate, commercial, compliance, consumer protection, government affairs, HR, labor, marketing, policy, procurement, revenue recognition, sales, tax, regulatory, and strategy issues in their day-to-day business. He also handles the drafting, supervision and negotiation of contracts, agreements and various legal documents.
He is proficient in key areas of IT/C law, including cloud computing, Technology-as-a-Service portfolio, software licensing, telecom regulation/licensing, technology and outsourcing contracts. He also advises on cross-border deals, global contractual transactions and M&A issues, and assists in service implementation, embedded leasing, government procurement matters as well as the drafting and filing of bids and tenders in the public and private sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in the legal incorporation of the Mexican subsidiary of a peer-to-peer online marketplace and homestay network company.
Prior to joining the Firm, Juan Carlos has handled various matters, including the following:
- Provided in-house counsel services to financial services, information technology, and services companies, serving as primary legal support to internal and external clients.
- Participated in corporate mergers, acquisitions, separations and divestitures for a global technology company.
- Negotiated a USD 100 million Platform-as-a-Service deal between a global technology company and one of the top telecommunication companies in the world.
- Advised companies focusing on the global, regional and local business management of technology and services, on various legal matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican Association of Internet - Member
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- National Association of Corporate Lawyers - Member
- Mexico (2008)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (Juris Doctor) (2008)