Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow
Alex is a local principal in the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow with over 13 years of experience. Alex is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/EU) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), a certified AI Ethics and Governance Professional by the Singapore Computer Society and a member of the Cybersecurity and Data Protection Committee of the Law Society of Singapore. He holds a master's in law, science and technology from Stanford University.
Alex's practice centers on data privacy, technology and commercial transactions, consumer law and telecommunications advisory matters. He helps clients with digital product roll-outs assess and resolve potential legal and regulatory issues, and assists businesses undergoing digitalisation and undertaking data-driven initiatives. He also supports clients with IT outsourcing, procurement and other commercial matters. Alex has worked with clients across different sectors including technology, fintech and banking.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the legal and compliance workstream in Singapore on the real-time cross-border funds transfer linkage between Singapore's PayNow and Thailand's PromptPay.
- Assisted a major Chinese technology company with the setup of an online marketplace for games and digital goods, and negotiated several payment services agreements for the platform.
- Assisted with the negotiation and drafting of all commercial agreements (both vendor and client side) for the setup and provision of a data lake and data analytics product in the healthcare sector.
- Supported a Swiss bank in Singapore with negotiations on the procurement of client relationship management (CRM) services from a major US vendor. This included advising on compliance with outsourcing and technology risk management requirements in Singapore and regionally (with the assistance of correspondence counsel overseas), and drafting the necessary contractual requirements.
- Advised a major card network on legal and regulatory compliance issues for Singapore (including data and consumer protection aspects) in relation to the roll out of several products including AI and biometrics related products.
- Advised a US-based cross-platform identity resolution company on data privacy compliance and risks related to its adtech products in Singapore and select APAC markets.
- Advised a German car manufacturer on telecommunications and regulatory matters for Singapore (including telecommunications/broadcast licensing and content regulation, consumer protection, data protection and contracting with minors) in relation to its line of connected cars and related services.
- Advised a Korean app store on legal and regulatory compliance matters in relation to its launch in several APAC jurisdictions including Singapore.
- Advised on privacy and regulatory issues around the use of real-world mapping technologies and devices/rigs for road and/or pedestrian walkways.
- Assisted several clients with data breach notification (including advising on such issues in relation to a metaverse product) and handling.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Accredited Specialists in Data and Digital Economy Law (*1st Cohort), Singapore Academy of Law, 1* Cohort (2023)
- Singapore Computer Society, Member (2022); Evaluation Board Member for the Professional Certification in AI Ethics and Governance Certification (2022)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/EU), International Association of Privacy Professionals (2019)
- Singapore Corporate Counsel Association, General Committee Member and Peers sub-committee Chairperson (2013-2016)
- Law Society of Singapore, Member (from 2008), Young Lawyers Committee, Member (2009)
- Singapore Academy of Law, Member (from 2008)
- California (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor of Singapore (2008)
- Stanford Law School (LLM Law, Science and Technology ) (2017)
- National University of Singapore (LLC) (2007)
- Contributor, White Paper on "Rebuilding Trust and Governance: Towards Data Free Flow with Trust (DFFT)," World Economic Forum Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution of Japan, March 2021.
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.