Michaël Tiralongo is a member of the Tokyo office's Banking & Finance Practice Group. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked in the financial services regulatory department of a major French law firm and in-house in the asset management arm of a global financial institution. He is fluent in Japanese.
Michaël's practice focuses on project finance, real estate finance and acquisition finance (LBO), financial services regulatory, judicial and regulatory financial litigation, and fintech. Michaël has also developed expertise in matters related to asset management (open-ended funds, private equity funds, discretionary portfolio management services, fund distribution agreements).
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Michaël handled the following matters in a foreign jurisdiction:
- Assisted several sponsors/limited partners in connection with the constitution of, and their investment in, private equity funds.
- Assisted a French portfolio management company in administrative proceedings led by the French regulator.
- Assisted an alternative fund of funds in the framework of a secondary transaction whereby the fund sold several interests in offshore-based private equity funds to a newly formed vehicle.
- Assisted an asset management company in the negotiation of investment management agreements for portfolio management services on behalf of several Italian pension funds.
- Assisted an asset management company in the negotiation of several cross-border investment management delegations (Cayman closed-ended investment trusts, Luxembourg, Irish and Hong Kong open-ended funds).
- Assisted an asset management company in the negotiation of the relevant documentation and supervision of the liquidation of a Luxembourg-based UCITS SICAV.
- Assisted credit institutions and asset management companies with respect to European regulatory challenges affecting their activities (provision of investment services in the EU by non-EU investment firms, Brexit, MiFID II, PRIIPS, GDPR, SRD II).
- California~United States (2020)
- Paris~France (2014)
- Paris Descartes University (PhD) (2012)
- Tokyo University (Foreign Researcher, Monbusho Scholarship) (2012)
- Aix-Marseille III University (LLM) (2010)
- University of Paris II (Pantheon) (LLM) (2008)
- Keio University (Exchange Program) (2006)
Author, "Japan: Law and practice of merger control," Concurrences, May 2014
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.