Baker & McKenzie LLP
Chantal Thompson has extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of UK pensions law. She is a senior counsel in the Firm's Pensions practice group in London, a core member of Baker McKenzie’s Global Pensions Group, and serves on the International Committee of the 1,000-member Association of Pension Lawyers. She is a member of the Management Committee and chairs the Personnel Sub-Committee of London Cyrenians Housing Limited, and frequently speaks at seminars and courses on multiple aspects of pension law.
Chantal Thompson advises companies and trustees on a wide range of legal issues arising from the operation of occupational pension schemes. Her practice focus includes pensions issues arising from outsourcing — including transfers from the public sector — as well as the full range of advisory work for employers and trustees. Chantal has worked on several projects involving the capping of final salary liabilities and securing of final salary benefits.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising DXC (formerly Computer Sciences Corporation) in relation to its pension scheme and outsourcing contracts.
- Advising a number of UK employers in relation to proposals to curtail future benefit accrual, including resolutions of Courage restrictions in powers of amendment.
- Advising the liquidator of Wembley PLC in relation to successful court proceedings to resolve a dispute about the exercise of the amendment power.
- Advising Kellogg Brown & Root on its scheme mergers and demergers, disposal of part of its UK business, and the acquisition of a joint venture.
- Advising the Trustees of the NTL Pension Plan and NTL 1999 Pension Scheme (sponsored by Virgin Media) on employer initiated buy-out projects.
- Advising DENSO on its two UK pension scheme buy-out projects with Pensions Insurance Corporation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Pension Lawyers – International Committee
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1992)
- University West of England (L.S.F.) (1989)
- University West of England (C.P.E.) (1988)
- Oxford University (St. Hugh's College) (B.A.) (1985)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.