Paul Teo leads Baker McKenzie's Arbitration Practice in Greater China. He handles disputes related to corporate and commercial transactions, energy, mining and resources, infrastructure and construction, offshore and marine, and telecommunications. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he jointly led a top-tier global law firm's international arbitration practice in Southeast Asia.
Paul is regularly appointed as arbitrator. He is a Chartered Arbitrator and is listed on the Presidential Panel of Arbitrators of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and he serves on the panels of many leading arbitral institutions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for an automobile manufacturer in an investment dispute relating to the design, manufacture and distribution of automobiles in a foreign country.
- Acting for a global pharmaceutical company in a dispute against a listed company relating to shareholders' agreement.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Paul worked on the following matters:
- Acted for a global multinational company in a technology licensing agreement dispute.
- Acted for a global multinational company in a joint venture agreement dispute.
- Acted for a global telecommunications company in a dispute arising out of a new-build mobile telecommunications network in Hong Kong.
- Acted for the contractors in a dispute arising out of the construction of the Passenger Terminal Building Project at the Chek Lap Kok International Airport.
- Acted for the contractors in a dispute arising out of the construction of the KCRC East Rail Extensions Project.
- Acted for an international contractor in a dispute arising out of a petrochemical plant project in China.
- Acted for a state-owned transportation company in a dispute arising out of a gas pipeline project in Central Asia.
- Acted for a state-owned energy company in a dispute arising out of a hydroelectric power project and associated transmission lines in Southeast Asia.
- Leading Individual, Who's Who Legal: Arbitration
- Leading Individual, Who's Who Legal: Construction
- Leading Individual, Euromoney’s Guide to the World's Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration
- Leading Individual, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Construction Lawyers
- Leading Individual, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Disputes Star, Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Chartered Arbitrator
- Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moots, Hong Kong - Arbitrator
- Singapore Journal of Construction Law - Contributing Editor
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member, Law Reform Sub-Committee for Building and Construction Law
- Hong Kong (2003)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2000)
- Singapore (1997)
- Harvard Law School (Program of Instruction for Lawyers, Program on Negotiation) (2007)
- Keble College, Oxford (Post Graduate Diploma International Commercial Arbitration) (2006)
- University of Singapore (LL.B. Hons.) (1996)
Author, "Architect's Roles and Duties," Singapore Journal of Construction Law, 2017
Author, "Legal Foundations of Mediation," Mediation in Singapore – A Practical Guide, Sweet & Maxwell, 2015
Author, "Dealing with Disputes," The Project Manager, Society of Project Managers Singapore, 2014
Panel member, "Construction Disputes Asia - Evolution or Revolution," jointly organized by SIAC and SCL, September 2010 delivered presentation on Fast Track Arbitration, September 2010
Presenter, "Fast Track Arbitration Rules," jointly organized by SIAC and SCL, September 2010