Dr. Johannes Teichmann is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Frankfurt office. He joined the Firm in 2008 and has worked in the Firm’s Barcelona office for four months in 2013.
Dr. Teichmann advises clients on all aspects of commercial and distribution law and related competition law. He drafts and negotiates agency, distribution and franchise agreements as well as commercial agreements, such as purchase and supply, service, manufacturing and co-operation agreements, and advises on standard agreements. He assists in the reorganization of distribution systems and advises on related competition law matters. Dr. Teichmann also represents clients in commercial disputes and litigation, and is regularly involved in transactions. He frequently gives in-house trainings and publishes on distribution law matters, in particular regarding cross-border contracts and consequences of termination of distribution agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a DAX 30 company on a worldwide contract law review project.
- Advised a German automotive manufacturer on the localization of its distribution agreements in various jurisdictions in Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Advised a leading automotive supplier on its portfolio of standard agreements and contractual issues.
- Advised a global medical devices manufacturer on the reorganization of its European distribution system.
- Seconded to a DAX 30 company to provide key support in establishing its compliance department.
- Advised several international clients in cross-border commercial and distribution law matters, particularly in connection with the localization and termination of agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Society for Distribution Law e.V. - Member
- Germany (2008)
- University of Regensburg (Dr. jur.) (2010)
- American University, Washington College of Law (Summer Legal English Institute) (2008)
- Higher Regional Court of Nuremberg (Second State Exam) (2007)
- University of Regensburg (First State Exam) (2004)
Co-author, Kommentierung der §§ 54, 55, 86a, Vor § 89, 91, 91a, 92c HGB, § 4 ProdHaftG, Art. 3, 4, 9 Rom I-VO in: Flohr/Wauschkuhn (ed.), Kommentar Vertriebsrecht [Legal commentary on all aspects of distribution law], Beck Verlag, 2018
Author, "Anspruch auf Rückzahlung von als Kassenpacht gezahlten Beträgen eines Tankstellenhalters," Anmerkung zum BGH, Urt. v. 17.11.2016 - VII ZR 6/16 [Additional note on Federal Court of Justice, judgment of 17 November 2016 - VII ZR 6/16 (Claim for repayment of amounts paid as cash desk rent by a gas station owner)], ZVertriebsR 2017, 40
Author, "Kein vertraglicher Ausschluss des Ausgleichsanspruchs eines innerhalb des EWR tätigen Vertragshändlers," Anmerkung zum BGH, Urt. v. 25.02.2016 - VII ZR 102/15 [Additional note on Federal Court of Justice, judgment of 25 February 2016 - VII ZR 102/15 (No contractual exclusion of the indemnity claim of a distributor acting within the EEA)], ZVertriebsR 2016, 195
Co-author, "Die Umsetzung der Zahlungsverzugsrichtlinie im europäischen Vergleich" [The implementation of the Late Payments Directive in a European comparison], ZVertriebsR 2014, 359
Co-author, "Typische Probleme bei der Beendigung von Vertragshändlerverträgen" [Typical problems with the termination of distribution contracts], ZVertriebsR 2013, 139