Ross Taylor leads the Corporate Commercial Practice Group in the Yangon office, advising multinational clients across various industries on investments and acquisitions in Myanmar. Ross is a highly experienced English qualified lawyer and spent three years at Baker McKenzie in Bangkok, where he was involved in numerous aircraft-related and M&A transactions. He later joined the team establishing the office in Yangon in 2013 and has been practicing on the ground in Myanmar since then. Ross' experience covers all areas of foreign investment into Myanmar, including company set-up and structuring of new entities, joint ventures, MIC applications and Special Economic Zones, as well as land and real estate matters.
Ross' Myanmar practice focuses on large-scale M&A. He has advised acquirers in the technology, consumer goods, energy, finance, pharmaceuticals and real estate sectors with their transactions in Myanmar. For example, Ross advised the acquirer on a USD 450 million acquisition in Myanmar in the consumer products space, and also advised a major investment fund on the acquisition of a novel new payments company which is rapidly building a network in Myanmar, including the carrying out of due diligence on the target. Ross is also experienced in the energy sector, having advised clients on various types of power projects, including a gas-fired power plant, a major IPP project, and several alternative energy plants.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an acquirer on a USD 450 million acquisition in Myanmar in the consumer products space.
- Advising a major investment fund on the acquisition of a novel new payments company which is rapidly building a network in Myanmar, including the carrying out of due diligence on the target.
- Advising a bidder on the acquisition of a USD 1.3 billion Chevron stake in a Myanmar gas block, including due diligence and drafting the Share Sale and Purchase Agreement. This is the largest M&A deal to date involving Myanmar assets.
- Lead Myanmar counsel on the development of the Dawei Special Economic Zone, which features a major integrated industrial complex including related infrastructure such as a deep sea port, power plant, water supply, telecommunications, and a trans-border highway connecting the two countries.
- Advising a Japanese company on an acquisition of shares relating to the fertilizer industry and establishment in the Thilawa Special Economic Zone.
- Advising a Thai energy company in relation to a 250 MW gas-fired power plant in Myanmar, including conducting due diligence.
- Advising a bidder on permits, approvals and agreements for a major IPP project.
- Advising a regional power company in relation to the potential acquisition of two 150 megawatt alternative energy projects in Myanmar, including extensive due diligence.
- Advising a major international engineering firm on the acquisition of a green energy company in Myanmar, including reviewing the share sale and purchase agreement and assisting to complete the transfer of shares.
- Advising one of the world’s largest beverage companies on their entry to the Myanmar market, including substantial issues related to land and the commencement of their Myanmar JV operations of a joint venture company.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1984)
Baker & McKenzie Yangon is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein