Beelian Tay is a member of the Corporate M&A group of the Firm’s Tokyo office and has over ten years of legal experience working in Japan. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked for a prominent Japanese law firm for eight years. Ms. Tay also worked for four years in a Singapore law firm that provides legal services to Japanese companies doing business in Singapore and the region.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a leading US telecommunications company in its divestiture of a Japanese business unit to a Japanese purchaser.
- Assisted a Silicon Valley company in its acquisition of a Japanese factory via an asset purchase.
- Assisted a Silicon Valley company in its acquisition of a Japanese factory via a stock purchase.
- Assisted a leading multinational petroleum company in its sale of its gasoline service station business in Japan to a leading Japanese petroleum company.
- Assisted a leading American pharmaceutical company based in New York in its divestiture of certain assets of a business line in Japan to a top Japanese cosmetics company.
- Advised companies of various industries (telecommunications, entertainment/media and consumer products) on internal restructuring including capital reduction, GK conversion, corporate split and merger.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Middle Temple Inn of Court - Barrister
- Supreme Court of Singapore - Advocate & Solicitor
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2011)
- Singapore (1995)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1993)
- University of Buckingham (LL.B.) (1992)