Chansin Tangburanakij is a partner in the Firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group who joined Baker McKenzie's Bangkok office in 2000.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Mr. Tangburanakij was a full-time law lecturer at Thailand's Assumption University focusing on general and commercial law. He has retained his ties to Assumption University as a part-time law lecturer on international business and transactions for its Masters of Law program.
Mr. Tangburanakij's main areas of practice include infringement and anti-counterfeiting matters involving trademarks, copyrights and patents.
He also advises on trade secrets and passing-off, enforcement actions against importers and distributors of counterfeit products, look-alikes and those using unauthorized names and devices; as well as on conducting market monitoring and in-depth investigations within Thailand.
He works closely with the Economic Crime Suppression Division of the Royal Thai Police, and with officials from the Department of Special Investigation and the Thai Customs Department. These established relationships allow for the coordination and guiding of investigators to obtain credible evidence against alleged counterfeiters and infringers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Provides legal advice to US filmmakers and major television production companies filming in Thailand. This includes drafting agreements between production companies and premises owners, as well as securing copyright clearances and facilitating the legal use of government property for location filming.
- Conducts anti-piracy campaigns in a number of sectors: against imitation parts for some of the world’s largest auto manufacturers; against pirated CDs and DVDs by world-leading game developers; and against replica golf clubs and other accessories for a number of the world’s leading golf brands.
- Undertakes border control measures with respect to pirated products of well-known companies. These include auto parts, CDs/DVDs, cosmetics, food, golf clubs and golf accessories, mp3 and mp4 devices, network cables, security locks, sportswear, textiles, toys and USB memory sticks.
- Arranges specialist training programs for law enforcement, including the Thai Customs Department, to identify counterfeit products on behalf of international companies in coordination with relevant local authorities.
- Assists IP rights holders in securing evidence and taking action related to online infringement cases.
- Advises on compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act from a Thailand perspective.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Association of Thailand - Director
- Committee on the Suppression of Obscene Media, Office of the Prime Minister - Legal Advisor
- Committee on the Suppression of Copyright and IP Infringement, Office of the Prime Minister - Legal Advisor
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (2011)
- Case Western Reserve University (LL.M.) (1998)
- Howard University (LL.M.) (1997)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B.) (1994)
- Hong Kong