Masahiro Tanabe is a member of the Major Projects: Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Group in the Firm's Tokyo office. He has over 10 years of legal experience in Japan and overseas. He is admitted to practice law in both Japan and New York. He was raised in the United States and is fluent in English.
Masahiro's practice focuses on matters relating to power, gas and renewable energy. He regularly assists clients in electricity retail work, power project acquisitions, power project development and LNG-related work. He also provides advice on intellectual property and dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a US electricity retailer on its successful application for an electricity retail license in Japan.
- Advised a US electricity retailer on its various commercial contracts with electricity suppliers, utilities and customers in Japan.
- Advised a US energy management service provider on its partnership with a major Japanese utility.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its overseas power projects assets merger with another Japanese utility, including power projects in the Middle East and North America.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its acquisition of a US power project with capacity of over 900 MW.
- Acted for various foreign project developers on their acquisition of renewable energy projects in Japan.
- Advised various foreign project developers on their development of renewable energy projects in Japan.
- Advised a major Japanese utility on its long-term LNG sale and purchase agreements to import LNG into Japan.
- Advised a major Japanese utility company on its long-term LNG sale and purchase agreements to resell LNG it imported into Japan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - International Committee Vice Chair
- New York Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Japan (2004)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM) (2007)
- Kyoto University (LLB) (1999)