Masahiro Tanabe is a member of the Finance & Projects Group at the Firm's Tokyo office. He has over 15 years of legal experience in Japan and overseas. Masahiro is admitted to practice law in both Japan and New York. He was raised in the United States and is fluent in English. He was recognized by Legal 500 (2021 edition) as a “Rising Star” for Projects and Energy in Japan.
Masahiro’s practice focuses on matters relating to power, gas and renewable energy. He regularly assists clients with electricity-related regulatory and transactional work, corporate PPAs (power purchase agreements), battery energy storage systems (ESSs), data centers, offshore wind projects, solar projects, project acquisitions and developments and LNG-related work. He acted for the first foreign electricity retailer to obtain an electricity retail license in Japan and advised on one of the first onsite corporate PPAs in Japan.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for the first foreign electricity retailer to obtain an electricity retail license in Japan.
- Advised a foreign energy company on one of the first onsite corporate PPAs in Japan.
- Acted for an international sponsor on the development of one of the first stand-alone battery ESS projects in Japan.
- Acted for a leading global data center operator on the development of a hyperscale data center in Japan, including negotiating a power supply agreement with a Japanese supplier.
- Advised multiple foreign electricity retailers and wholesalers on their electricity supply agreements in Japan.
- Advised multiple foreign energy companies on the establishment of their Japanese electricity trading desks, including providing detailed advice on Japanese electricity regulations.
- Advised multiple foreign and Japanese companies on their rooftop solar corporate PPA businesses within Japan and abroad.
- Acted for a global offshore wind developer on its joint venture with a Japanese energy company to develop offshore wind projects in Japan with a combined capacity of approximately 600 MW.
- Advised multiple foreign offshore wind developers on the development of offshore wind projects in Japan, including providing detailed advice on Japanese offshore wind regulations.
- Advised a major Japanese utility on one of the first Japanese-language LNG sale and purchase agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- Japan Wind Power Association - Member
- Asia Wind Energy Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Japan (2004)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM) (2007)
- Kyoto University (LLB) (1999)
Publications & articles
- Co-author, Forthcoming legislation could spur development of Japanese offshore wind projects, Offshore Wind Journal, February 2018, Language: English
- Co-author, Japan's retail electricity market: frequently asked questions from foreign entrants, Baker & McKenzie, August 2017, Language: English
- Co-author, Snapshots of Key Asia Pacific Power Markets (providing an overview of the electric power sector in 11 major and developing economies in the region), Baker & McKenzie, 2016, Language: English and Japanese
- Speaker, "Corporate PPA's in Japan - regulations and contracts," Japan Planning Institute Special Seminar, Japan Planning Institute, May 2020 - May 2022
- Speaker, "Ramping up Capacity - What Policy and Regulatory Challenges Remain and What Progress Can We Expect in 2022?" Japan Offshore Wind Updates 2022, Leader Associates, April 2022
- Panelist, "Japanese offshore wind first round auction results: update and discussion on implications for the industry," Baker McKenzie, March 2022
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.