Masahiro Tanabe is a member of the Finance & Projects Group in the Firm's Tokyo office. He has over 15 years of legal experience in Japan and overseas. He is admitted to practice law in both Japan and New York. He was raised in the United States and is fluent in English. He was recognized by Legal 500 (2021 edition) as a “Rising Star” for Projects and Energy in Japan.
Masahiro’s practice focuses on matters relating to power, gas and renewable energy. He regularly assists clients in electricity retail work, electricity regulatory work, offshore wind projects, solar projects, project acquisitions, project developments and LNG related work. He acted for the first foreign electricity retailer to obtain an electricity retail license in Japan, and advised on one of the first onsite corporate PPA's (power purchase agreements) in Japan.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for the first foreign electricity retailer to obtain an electricity retail license in Japan.
- Advised a foreign energy company on one of the first onsite corporate PPA's in Japan.
- Advised multiple foreign electricity retailers and wholesalers on their electricity supply agreements in Japan.
- Advised a leading global energy trading company on the establishment of its Japanese electricity trading desk, including providing detailed advice on Japanese electricity regulations.
- Acted for a leading global data center operator on its power supply agreements in Japan.
- Advised a major Japanese utility on its joint venture with a foreign energy company relating to electricity business in Japan.
- Advised a major Japanese utility on its rooftop solar corporate PPA business in Southeast Asia.
- Acted for a global offshore wind developer on its joint venture with a Japanese energy company to develop offshore wind projects in Japan with a combined capacity of approximately 600 MW.
- Advised a global offshore wind developer on the development of a Japanese offshore wind project, including providing detailed advice on Japanese offshore wind regulations.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its overseas assets merger with another Japanese utility, including power projects in Middle East and North America.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- Japan Wind Power Association - Member
- Asia Wind Energy Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Japan (2004)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM) (2007)
- Kyoto University (LLB) (1999)
Publications & articles
- Co-author, Forthcoming legislation could spur development of Japanese offshore wind projects, Offshore Wind Journal, February 2018, Language: English
- Co-author, Japan's retail electricity market: frequently asked questions from foreign entrants, Baker & McKenzie, August 2017, Language: English
- Co-author, Snapshots of Key Asia Pacific Power Markets (providing an overview of the electric power sector in 11 major and developing economies in the region), Baker & McKenzie, 2016, Language: English and Japanese
- Speaker, "Corporate Sourcing of Renewable Energy: Japan," Corporates in the Global Energy Transition webcast series, GWEC and RE100, October 2020
- Speaker, "A Global Buyers' Guide to PPAs in Emerging Markets," Corporate PPAs: 2021 and Beyond, Baker McKenzie, March 2021
- Speaker, "Incorporating Energy Storage into your Rooftop Solar Asset in Japan," SolarAPAC Digital, Leader Associates, April 2021
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.