Masahiro Tanabe is a member of the Projects Group in the Firm's Tokyo office. He has over 15 years of legal experience in Japan and overseas. He is admitted to practice law in both Japan and New York. He was raised in the United States and is fluent in English.
Masahiro’s practice focuses on matters relating to power, gas and renewable energy. He regularly assists clients in electricity retail work, electricity regulatory work, offshore wind projects, mega solar projects, project acquisitions, project developments and LNG related work. In addition, he provides advice on intellectual property and dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a number of foreign electricity retailers on their successful applications for electricity retail license in Japan.
- Advised multiple foreign electricity retailers and wholesalers on their electricity supply agreements in Japan.
- Advised a leading global energy trading company on the establishment of its Japanese electricity trading desk, including providing detailed advice on Japanese electricity regulations.
- Advised a foreign energy company on one of the first corporate PPA's (power purchase agreements) in Japan.
- Advised a foreign energy company on its virtual power plant (VPP) business in Japan.
- Advised a foreign energy management service provider on its partnership with a major Japanese utility.
- Acted for a global offshore wind developer on its joint venture with a Japanese energy company to develop offshore wind projects in Japan with a combined capacity of approximately 600 MW.
- Acted for a global data center operator on its power supply agreements in Japan.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its overseas power projects assets merger with another Japanese utility, including power projects in Middle East and North America.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its acquisition of a US power project with capacity of over 900 MW.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- Japan Wind Power Association - Member
- Asia Wind Energy Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Japan (2004)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM) (2007)
- Kyoto University (LLB) (1999)
Publications & articles
Co-author, Forthcoming legislation could spur development of Japanese offshore wind projects, Offshore Wind Journal, February 2018, Language: English
Co-author, Japan's retail electricity market: frequently asked questions from foreign entrants, Baker & McKenzie, August 2017, Language: English
Co-author, Snapshots of Key Asia Pacific Power Markets (providing an overview of the electric power sector in 11 major and developing economies in the region), Baker & McKenzie, 2016, Language: English and Japanese
Co-author, Everything a Company Needs to Know about Information Governance, Toyo Keizai Inc., July 2018, Language: Japanese
Co-author, US Supreme Court's Lexmark Decision on the Doctrine of Patent Exhaustion (covering post-sale restrictions and international exhaustion), Intellectual Property Management, June 2018, Language: Japanese