Masahiro Tanabe is a member of the Projects Group in the Firm's Tokyo office. He has over 15 years of legal experience in Japan and overseas. He is admitted to practice law in both Japan and New York. He was raised in the United States and is fluent in English.
Masahiro’s practice focuses on matters relating to power, gas and renewable energy. He regularly assists clients in electricity retail work, electricity regulatory work, offshore wind projects, mega solar projects, project acquisitions, project developments and LNG related work. In addition, he provides advice on intellectual property and dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for foreign electricity retailers on their successful application for electricity retail license in Japan.
- Advised foreign electricity retailers and wholesalers on their electricity supply arrangements in Japan.
- Advised foreign energy companies on their entry into the Japanese electricity market.
- Advised a foreign energy company on one of the first corporate PPA's (power purchase agreements) in Japan.
- Advised a foreign energy company on its virtual power plant (VPP) business in Japan.
- Advised a foreign energy management service provider on its partnership with a major Japanese utility.
- Acted for a global offshore wind developer on its joint venture with a Japanese energy company to develop offshore wind projects in Japan with a combined capacity of approximately 600 MW.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its overseas power projects assets merger with another Japanese utility, including power projects in Middle East and North America.
- Acted for a major Japanese utility on its acquisition of a US power project with capacity of over 900 MW.
- Advised a foreign project developer on its EPC contract for a mega solar project in Japan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- Japan Wind Power Association - Member
- Asia Wind Energy Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Japan (2004)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM) (2007)
- Kyoto University (LLB) (1999)
Co-author, Forthcoming legislation could spur development of Japanese offshore wind projects, Offshore Wind Journal, February 2018, Language: English
Co-author, Japan's retail electricity market: frequently asked questions from foreign entrants, Baker & McKenzie, August 2017, Language: English
Speaker, "Virtual power plants in Japan - a bright future ahead?" 2nd Japan Solar + Energy Storage, Leader Associates, October 2019
Speaker, "Grid connection issues for offshore wind projects in Japan," Renewable Energy in Germany and Japan: Solutions for Offshore Wind Energy Projects, German Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan, June 2019
Speaker, "Japanese Offshore Wind Market: Recent Developments and Opportunities for German Companies," East Asia Wind Energy (Hamburg, Germany), German Asia-Pacific Business Association, May 2019