Weiyi Tan is a principal in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property practice groups in Singapore. She advises on domestic and international commercial litigation and assists clients with complex cross border investigations and regulatory actions.
Weiyi is an accredited mediator recognized by the Singapore Mediation Centre and has been appointed to the Singapore International Arbitration Centre's (SIAC) reserve panel of arbitrators. She has worked in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office, as well as the Fountain Court Chambers and Essex Court Chambers in London as a recipient of a scholarship by the Singapore Academy of Law.
Weiyi's practice focuses on compliance infringements, cross-border investigations, regulatory inquiries and enforcement actions. An accredited member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and a Certified Privacy Manager recognized by the International Association of Privacy Professionals, she advises on anti-corruption, antitrust, data privacy, tax and financial regulatory infringements.
Representative Legal Matters
Arbitration and Litigation
- Acted for a private equity fund in arbitration proceedings administered by the SIAC concerning an equity participation plan extended to two former employees.
- Represented a member of the Law Society of Singapore in disciplinary proceedings for professional misconduct.
- Obtained an acquittal for a project manager of a major construction project against a criminal charge for professional negligence that resulted in the collapse of structural elements and the death of individuals on site.
- Advised a multinational bank on investigations into possible insider trading and market manipulation arising from the exchange of information involving bond traders at the bank's Singapore branch.
- Advised on and coordinated cross-border investigations for a Swiss multinational trading company over allegations of bribery and corruption among its Singapore employees.
- Advised on and coordinated a multijurisdictional compliance audit for a German manufacturing company involving issues of anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and tax.
- Advised the Singapore subsidiary of a European financial institution on an investigation into tax evasion and breach of reporting obligations under US and Singapore laws by way of an elaborate tax fraud scheme.
- Represented a UK owner/licensor of a super-club in Britain in a dispute against its Singapore licensee for breach of the license agreement, and in a claim for trade mark infringement against third parties.
- Defended a French multinational confectionery company against a copyright infringement and trade mark revocation claim by an Indian company concerning artistic work used on product packaging.
- Represented a major cigarette manufacturer in civil and criminal enforcement proceedings against parties involved in the sale and distribution of counterfeit cigarettes in various parts of the world; obtained injunctive orders against the counterfeiting parties and disrupting counterfeiting operations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Mediation Centre - Accredited Mediator
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators - Committee Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Committee Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Certified Fraud Examiner
- International Association of Privacy Professionals - Certified Privacy Manager
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2009)
- Singapore (2005)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B.)