Alex Tan is an associate principal in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow, where he focuses on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. He has extensive experience advising clients from various industry sectors, including financial services, consumer, oil and gas, pharmaceutical and real estate.
Alex is a corporate and commercial lawyer with a particular focus on corporate mergers & acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures as well as transactional and restructuring matters. He is well-versed and regularly acts for clients in complex cross-border transactions and navigates them through various issues relating to investments, in particular in Singapore and Indonesia.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Advised EQT Partners as investment adviser to EQT Greater China II Fund on its sale of Classic Fine Food Group of Companies across 14 countries to Metro AG, Germany's largest retailer, through an auction process. The transaction had an initial enterprise value of USD 290 million, raising a further USD 38 million.
- Acted for Allied World Assurance Company Ltd in its USD215 million acquisition of the Singapore and Hong Kong branch operations of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, as well as the insurance portfolio and related assets and liabilities of both branches.
- Advised PT Greenland Rajawali Utama, a company within the Rajawali Group, in relation to an en-bloc forward sale of a 47-storey commercial building within a mixed-use development in central Jakarta to a subsidiary of GIC (Realty) Private Limited.
- Advised Temasek Holdings on its USD 300 million investment in exchangeable rights issued by a unit of PT Multipolar Tbk. The rights are exchangeable for 26.1 percent of the share capital of PT Matahari Putra Prima Tbk and was part of an agreement with majority stakeholder PT Multipolar Tbk, which is controlled by Indonesian conglomerate Lippo group.
- Advised PT Indika Energy Tbk on its acquisition of a coal mining asset in Indonesia held by PT Multi Tambangjaya Utama from Asia Thai Mining Company Limited.
- Acted for PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk in its sale of a 60 percent interest in PT Medco Sarana Kalibaru to Puma Energy Singapore and the setting up of a new venture, PT Puma Medco Petroleum whose principal assets included a fuel storage facility in Tanjung Priok International Port, North Jakarta and distribution capabilities in Kalimantan and Sumatra.
Corporate Restructuring and Advisory
- Represented Willliams-Sonoma Inc in a corporate restructuring exercise to set up their Asian operations under a Singapore investment holding structure. This included setting up legal entities in China, Vietnam and Indonesia, and ongoing advisory work for the Williams-Sonoma group in Singapore.
- Advised a listed Indian steel conglomerate on its implementation of an internal restructuring of its Asia-Pacific subsidiaries. This included the preparation of the global template documentation and the coordination of the share transfers for various jurisdictions such as Australia, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand and Singapore.
- Advised Jetstar Airways Pty Limited on its proposed booking and service fees implementation for various jurisdictions including Thailand, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore.
- Acted for a leading Japanese general insurer headquartered in Singapore in the corporate restructuring of its Asian offices, and in obtaining the regulatory approvals from the relevant government agencies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Singapore Academy of Law and the Law Society of Singapore - Member
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn in England - Member
- The Malaysian Bar - Member
- Singapore (2011)
- Malaysia (2006)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2005)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.B. Hons.) (2004)