Hannah advises a wide variety of clients on a spectrum of employment law issues including TUPE, senior executive recruitment and termination, people implications of global transactions, complex employment litigation such as whistleblowing, and advising on data subject access requests. Hannah has particular experience in discrimination and a passion for inclusion and diversity within the workplace.
Hannah also spent two years in Hong Kong setting up an employment practice at a global law firm and advising on non-contentious local matters as well as multi-jurisdictional projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising and coordinating a project team for a tech client on the people impact of the USD 700million disposal of its software business in 11 jurisdictions outside North America.
- Advising and coordinating a team across 23 jurisdictions in relation to a reduction in force of several hundred roles across EMEA.
- Coordinating advice in on employment issues for a mining client on USD 140 million acquisition of a business in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Successfully defending a complex whistleblowing claim of an employee/director/shareholder of a software business.
- Advising on equal pay grievances and defending litigation based on work of equal value and like work.
- Litigating a non-compete restriction as against a Board member of a pharmaceutical and retail client including disclosure under the CPR pilot.
- Advising an online retailer in respect of employment status issues with respect to its engagement of delivery drivers.
- Acting for retail bank to defend a holiday pay class action from circa 500 employees.
- BBC - 2019 - member of Employment Legal Team
- Lloyds Bank plc - 2017 - 2018. Member of HR Legal Team advising on ringfencing, employment aspects of acquisitions and outsourcing. Also advised on a policy simplification project and delivered training to HR and reward.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- Employment Lawyers Association - Member
- Member of Baker McKenzie LGBT+ Ally Network Steering Committee - supporting employees, arranging events and London Pride participation.
- Co-chair of previous firm's LGBT+ employee network involving silver ranking for Hong Kong in Community Business (NGO) LGBT+ Index in 2017; planning and implementing network re-launch; coordinating internal and client facing events and charitable contributions.
- Governor of Primary School 2014-2015.
- Hannah has assisted with various pro bono matters including advising not for profit and charitable organisations such as Reprieve and Save the Children.
- Hong Kong~China (2016)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2006)
- University of Liverpool (Law (LLB Hons))
- College of Law, Chester (Legal Practice Course)
Co-author, "United Kingdom: Employers - Shining a Light on Domestic Abuse," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, October 2020
Co-author, "United Kingdom: Menopause - A Business Issue," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, September 2020
Co-author, "Hong Kong Court of Appeal Confirms Employers Cannot Dismiss to Avoid Bonus Payments," Hong Kong Lawyer, June 2016
Co-author, "Reinstatement or Just Re-Negotiation? The Employment Amendment Bill 2016," Hong Kong Lawyer, April 2016
Author, "Asia - Long Hours Culture Unlikely to End Soon," CIPD Magazine, January 2016