Baker & McKenzie
Not admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction
Wian Steyn is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Baker McKenzie, based in the London office. His practice focuses on commercial disputes and business crimes, including anti-money laundering and anti-bribery and corruption related matters.
Wian regularly advises clients on the resolution of complex international and domestic commercial disputes, regulatory compliance and investigations, as well as product liability and recalls.
He has been recognised as a Rising Star by Legal 500 in the field of Dispute Resolution for the EMEA region and as an Associate to Watch for Corporate Investigations (South Africa) by Chambers Global.
Wian’s experience includes compliance and investigations, as well as commercial litigation, arbitration and adjudication. He has acted for a diverse range of prominent clients from various sectors, including the financial services, healthcare and life sciences, software, mining, and construction sectors as well as clients listed on various international exchanges.
Representative Legal Matters
- Regularly conducts compliance investigations and advises clients on anti-bribery and anti-money laundering related matters, including in respect of reporting obligations and disclosures, engagements with authorities (incl. the US DOJ), remedial measures, as well as resulting criminal and civil proceedings.
- Part of a South African based compliance monitoring team in respect of a German multinational engineering and related services company, sanctioned by the United States Department of Justice for breaches of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Seconded to a US headquartered, publicly traded medical devices company in the position of Counsel, Global Compliance Investigations, EMEA. During this time, Wian was responsible for overseeing all of the EMEA region’s internal compliance investigations.
- Advised and assisted a multinational pharmaceutical company in respect of an audit conducted by the Prescription Medicines Code of Practice Authority, as sanctioned by the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry Board in respect of breaches of the ABPI Code, including in respect of the implementation of remedial measures.
- Regularly advises clients on, and assists with the development, implementation and monitoring of, their internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with anti-money laundering and anti-bribery and corruption laws, regulations and best practice.
- Regularly conducts anti-money laundering and anti-bribery and corruption related due diligences for corporate transactions (including mergers and acquisitions and corporate distribution agreements).
- Regularly advises and represents international manufacturers, importers and distributors with regard to product recalls and product liability related matters, including engagements with regulators.
- Advised and represented a large construction group in an ICC Arbitration seated in London, in relation to claims by a Ghanaian energy producer in excess USD 220 million, relating to delay damages, economic losses and costs for completion following the termination of the contract between the client and the energy producer for the construction of a power plant in Ghana.
- Advised and represented a multi-national entity in the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in the sum of USD 12 million against the Republic of Ghana, in South Africa.
- Advised and represented an international gold mining company, listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, in relation to intergroup company and shareholders disputes with its local South African operations company in connection with the unlawful issue of options and warrants and the disclosure of financial information.
- Listed on the Legal 500 Arbitration Powerlist: Africa 2023
- Recognised as a Rising Star by Legal 500 in the field of Dispute Resolution for the EMEA region.
- Recognised as an Associate to Watch for Corporate Investigations (South Africa) by Chambers Global.
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Stellenbosch (LLB) (2010)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.