Wian Steyn is an associate director in the dispute resolution department in Johannesburg. He focuses his practice primarily in the commercial and business crime areas, including the anti-bribery, corruption, fraud and money laundering fields.
He has been recognized as a Rising Star by Legal 500 in the field of Dispute Resolution for the EMEA region.
Representative Legal Matters
- Regularly conducts investigations, and advises and assists local and multinational clients, relating to breaches of anti-bribery, corruption, fraud, and money laundering laws and regulations, including in respect of reporting obligations, interactions with authorities, remedial measures and resulting criminal and civil proceedings.
- Conducted a compliance investigation as part of a compliance monitoring team in respect of a German multinational engineering and related services company, sanctioned by the United States Department of Justice.
- Regularly advises clients on their internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with anti-bribery, corruption, fraud, and money laundering laws and regulations.
- Regularly conducts anti-bribery, corruption, fraud, and money laundering related due diligences on target companies in respect of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions.
- Advised and represented a multinational entity in the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in the sum of USD 12 million against the Republic of Ghana, in South Africa.
- Advised and represented various international manufacturers, importers and distributors with regard to product recalls in South Africa.
- Represented and advised a South African multidisciplinary construction group in an adjudication involving 103 claims for Time Related Charges.
- Advised and represented a multinational mining company in respect of various contractual disputes with a mining contractor involving, inter alia, the breach and termination of a mining agreement, outstanding service fees and an alleged lien over a mining pit and manganese ore.
- Advised and represented a publicly listed South African mining company in an arbitration pertaining to a dispute between its subsidiary and a Canadian-based mining company relating to the dilution of its shareholding in a joint venture.
- Advised and represented an international gold mining company, listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, in relation to intergroup company and shareholders disputes with its local South African operations company in connection with the unlawful issue of options and warrants and the disclosure of financial information.
- Recognized as a Rising Star by Legal 500 in the field of Dispute Resolution for the EMEA region.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Stellenbosch (LLB) (2010)