Wian Steyn is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg. He focuses his practice primarily on commercial, construction and business crime matters. Wian also has experience in product recall and product liability matters.
Wian’s experience includes compliance and investigations, as well as commercial and construction related litigation, arbitration and adjudication. He has acted for a diverse range of prominent national and international clients from various sectors, including the mining and construction sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and represented a JSE-listed South African mining company in various investigations and subsequent civil and criminal proceedings, pertaining to the suspected fraudulent and corrupt practices and unlawful conduct of executive directors, which included the unauthorized transfer of funds and unauthorized negotiation and conclusion of various service agreements with both foreign and local entities.
- Part of the compliance monitoring team that conducted a compliance investigation of a German multinational engineering and related services company, sanctioned by the United States Department of Justice.
- Advised and represented a JSE-listed company in an investigation, and subsequent civil and criminal proceedings on the alleged breach of fiduciary duties and fraudulent and corrupt practices of executive directors, including tax irregularities, receipt of bribes, unauthorized provision of services to competitors and generation of secret profits.
- Advised and represented a multinational services, trading and distribution company, listed on the JSE, in an investigation on a suspected breach of fiduciary duties and fraudulent and corrupt practices of directors and employees, including the unauthorized negotiation and conclusion of various service and sale agreements.
- Advised and represented a multinational entity in the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award worth USD 12 million against the Republic of Ghana.
- Advised and represented various international manufacturers, importers and distributors on product recalls in South Africa.
- Represented and advised a South African multidisciplinary construction group in an adjudication involving 103 claims for time related charges.
- Advised and represented a multinational mining company on various contractual disputes with a mining contractor involving, inter alia, the breach and termination of a mining agreement, outstanding service fees, and an alleged lien over a mining pit and manganese ore.
- Advised and represented a publicly-listed South African mining company in an arbitration dispute between its subsidiary and a Canadian based mining company relating to the dilution of its shareholding in a joint venture.
- Advised and represented an international gold mining company, listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, on intergroup company and shareholders disputes with its local South African operations company in connection with the unlawful issue of options and warrants and the disclosure of financial information.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Stellenbosch (LLB) (2010)