Hugh Stewart heads the Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Practice Group in Baker McKenzie’s London office. He advises various industry clients — including oil, mining, metals and power companies, as well as financial institutions and governments — on a wide range of international M&A transactions.
Hugh's practice is principally focused on mergers and acquisition transactions in the energy, chemicals, mining and infrastructure sectors throughout Europe, the CIS, the Middle East and Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for Royal Vopak, an Amsterdam-listed oil and petrochemicals storage operator, on the sale of its UK business to Navigator Terminals, a terminals operator formed by Macquarie Capital and Greenergy Fuels.
- Advising a consortium of three buyers - PGGM, APG Algemene Pensioen Groep and an Australian superannuation investor, on the acquisition of a 66.2% shareholding in Challenger LBC Terminal Jersey (LBC) from Challenger Infrastructure Fund for USD 227.8 million. LBC is one of the world's largest independent operators of tank storage facilities for Liquid Bulk Chemical products.
- Acting for Yamal Development (a joint venture between Gazprom Neft and Novatek) on its USD 2.9 billion acquisition of a 60 percent interest in Artic Russia from Eni.
- Acting for Alliance Oil Company in connection with its joint venture with Repsol Exploracion. The joint venture will be incorporated with an envisaged total asset base of USD 840 million.
- Acting for shareholders of JSC Novatek, Russia's largest independent gas producer, on the USD 4 billion sale of a 12 percent stake to Total SA as part of a strategic partnership.
- Acting for ITOCHU Corporation and ITOCHU Europe PLC on the acquisition of all shares of the Kwik-Fit Group from European private equity firm PAI Partners. The agreed enterprise value was GBP 637 million.
- Acting for China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) on the USD 3 billion acquisition of a 20 percent indirect interest in Pan American Energy LLC, the second largest upstream oil and gas producer in Argentina.
- Acting for Privatbank on their disposal of a series of integrated mining and minerals businesses in the CIS for a price in excess of USD 3.25 billion, involving a share exchange in a number of CIS listed companies and the receipt of GDRs in Evraz listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Acting for West Siberian Resources Limited, a Bermuda incorporated independent oil company listed on the OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm, on its USD 2.25 billion merger with Alliance Oil.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1983)
- Scotland~United Kingdom (1978)
- Aberdeen University (LL.B.) (1975)
- New York
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.