Kent Stackhouse is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Tax Group in Washington, DC, where he mainly practices in the area of US federal taxation of corporations. Kent is also a teaching associate at Georgetown University Law Center for an international tax and business planning course.
Kent advises multinational clients on an array of issues involving transfer pricing, tax dispute resolution, and tax planning. He has experience with advance pricing agreements and income tax treaties, including permanent establishment matters and mutual agreement procedure resolutions. Kent handles corporate tax planning for domestic and international transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and restructurings. He also has experience with the implementation of tax planning for global restructurings from a corporate law perspective.
Representative Legal Matters
- Medtronic, Inc. v. Commissioner, TC No. 6944-11.
- Represented technology company in bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements involving the United States and various foreign jurisdictions, including India and Korea.
- Represented automaker in bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements involving the IRS and Japan.
- Represented multinational companies in Competent Authority matters between the United States and various foreign jurisdictions, including India, Korea, and Germany.
- Advised multinational company in the food industry on strategic reorganization (involving over 40 jurisdictions).
- Advised multinational company on the global restructuring relating to the spin-off of its commercial and residential security business (involving over 40 jurisdictions).
- Advised multinational company on the integration of European operations relating to the acquisition of a home appliances manufacturer (involving over 25 jurisdictions).
- Advised multinational company in the discount retail industry on the restructuring of Asian operations.
- Advised multinational company in the aviation industry on M&A transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association - Section on Taxation, Young Tax Lawyers - Co-Chair (2013-2014; 2014-2015; 2015-2016)
- American Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2014)
- Florida~United States (2012)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2012)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. Taxation with Distinction) (2012)
- Tulane University Law School (J.D.) (2011)
- University of Southern Indiana (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration) (2002)