Dr. Philip Spoerlé is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Zurich office and a member of the Capital Markets, Banking & Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups. He joined the Firm in 2010 as a law clerk and rejoined as an associate in 2015. Prior to his return, Dr. Spoerlé worked for a global investment bank in the area of fixed income securities trading and as a research and teaching assistant to Prof. Dr. Lukas Glanzmann. Dr. Spoerlé graduated from the University of St. Gallen (MA in Law & Economics, 2011) and obtained a PhD (Dr. iur.) from the University of St. Gallen in 2015. Dr. Spoerlé was admitted to the Zurich bar in 2013.
Dr. Spoerlé’s practice focuses on debt and equity capital markets, public takeover transactions, leveraged and acquisition financing transactions, art financings, single stock lending and lombard structures, export and project financing transactions, derivatives, corporate restructurings, and general corporate and commercial matters. He further is a member of the CG&R and Healthcare industry focus groups. He is admitted to practice in Switzerland and recognized as an authorized issuer's representative at the SIX Swiss Exchange.
Representative Legal Matters
Banking & Finance
- Advised UBS, Credit Suisse and all other involved Swiss banks on the CHF 40 billion programme for Government-backed bridge loans to support Swiss SMEs experiencing liquidity shortages due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advised UBS and Credit Suisse in a CHF 1.5 billion Government-backed financing for Swiss International Air Lines AG and Edelweiss Air AG.
- Advised RRJ Capital on a several hundred million US dollars structured equity-linked debt financing in connection with their investment in leading airline caterer gategroup.
- Advised Rabobank and an international bank consortium on the EUR 1.8 billion financing for Aryzta AG.
- Represented CSA Energy Infrastructure Switzerland (CSEIP) on all financing and certain takeover law aspects of their purchase of a 25.04% stake in Alpiq Holding.
- Advised UBS AG and Berenberg as Joint Global Coordinators and Joint Bookrunners in connection with the IPO of Zur Rose Group AG on SIX Swiss Exchange with a total placement volume of CHF 252 million.
- Advised SIX Swiss Exchange listed Arbonia AG in its CHF 415 million public takeover of Looser Holding AG.
- Advised Basilea Pharmaceutica on the issuance of a CHF 200 million convertible bond (2017), their convertible bond repurchase offer (2020) as well as their CHF 45.75 million PIPE transaction (2021).
- Advised Zur Rose Group AG on their CHF 200 million straight bond issue (2019), their CHF 175 million convertible bond issue (2020) and their CHF 213 million ABB (2020).
- Represented Lalique Group on their IPO at SIX Swiss Exchange and other equity offerings.
- Rising Star in Banking & Finance Switzerland by Legal 500 2021 and 2020
- Rising Star in Banking & Finance Switzerland by Expert Guides 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- HSG Alumni - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Switzerland (2013)
- University of St. Gallen (Dr. iur.) (2015)
- University of St. Gallen (M.A. HSG Law & Economics) (2011)
- York University (Osgoode Hall) (Exchange Student) (2009)
- University of St. Gallen (B.A. HSG Law & Economics) (2008)
- Author, "Basisprospektemissionen", GesKR 1/2021
- Co-author, "Masterclass in Swiss efficiency: spotlight on Switzerland’s government-backed COVID-19 loan programme for SMEs", Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law (JIBFL), 2020
- Co-author, "Acquisition Financing", in: Ueli Studer, Kelsang Tsün and Sophie Stähli (ed.), Swiss M&A Practice Guide, First Edition, London 2020
- Author, "De Facto Abolition of Bearer Shares", Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, November 2019
- Author, "Marginalisierung der Inhaberaktie und neue Sanktionen bei AG und GmbH", GesKR 3/2019
- Co-author, "Aktuelle Entwicklungen im Gesellschaftsrecht (Inhaberaktie und Meldepflicht)," Baker McKenzie Breakfast Briefing, October 2019