Dr. Philip Spoerlé is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Zurich office and a member of the Capital Markets, Banking & Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups. He joined the Firm in 2010 as a law clerk and rejoined as an associate in 2015. Prior to his return, Dr. Spoerlé worked for a global investment bank in the area of fixed income securities trading and as a research and teaching assistant to Prof. Dr. Lukas Glanzmann. Dr. Spoerlé graduated from the University of St. Gallen (MA in Law & Economics, 2011) and obtained a PhD (Dr. iur.) from the University of St. Gallen in 2015 for his doctoral thesis on the bearer share and the corporate law provisions implemented by the FATF Implementation Act. Dr. Spoerlé was admitted to the Zurich bar in 2013.
Dr. Spoerlé’s practice focuses on debt and equity capital markets, derivatives, loans and credit facilities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and general corporate and commercial matters. He is admitted to practice in Switzerland and recognized as an authorized issuer's representative at the SIX Swiss Exchange.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised UBS AG and Joint Stock Company "ALFA-BANK" as joint lead managers on the issue of CHF 165 million Loan Participation Notes for ABH Financial Limited.
- Advised UBS AG and Berenberg as Joint Global Coordinators and Joint Bookrunners in connection with the IPO of Zur Rose Group AG on SIX Swiss Exchange with a total placement volume of CHF 252 million.
- Advised SIX Swiss Exchange listed AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding AG in its CHF 415 million public takeover of Looser Holding AG.
- Advised Basilea Pharmaceutica on the issuance of a CHF 200 million convertible bond.
- Advised Bank am Bellevue on the setting-up of a SIX Swiss Exchange listed Structured Securities Programme.
- Advised Rabobank and an international bank consortium on the EUR 1.8 billion financing for Aryzta AG.
- Advised Credit Suisse (Switzerland) Ltd. and Commerzbank as mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners on a CHF 500 million senior multicurrency revolving credit facility for Geberit Group.
- Advised SIX Swiss Exchange listed Clariant in connection with its unsecured CHF 500 million multicurrency revolving credit facility with a CHF 100 million accordion option which is structured as a back-stop facility for cash efficiency purposes.
- Represented a Swiss bank in a complex fully secured export financing transaction with a deal value of EUR 85 million.
- Advised UBS in connection with a EUR 50 million revolving credit facility for Stallergenes Group.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- HSG Alumni - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Switzerland (2013)
- University of St. Gallen (Dr. iur.) (2015)
- University of St. Gallen (M.A. HSG Law & Economics) (2011)
- York University (Osgoode Hall) (Exchange Student) (2009)
- University of St. Gallen (B.A. HSG Law & Economics) (2008)