Carole Spink is one of the leaders of Baker & McKenzie's Global Employment and Labor Law sub-practice group for North America. She provides domestic and international employment law counseling, training and advice on mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructurings. She also advises on cross-border employment compliance. She speaks regularly on global employment matters and has published numerous articles on employment issues, particularly those raised in the transactional context.
Carole advises on appropriate employment structures, onboarding requirements, employment agreements, handbooks and policies, bonus and commission plans, expats, non-competes, reductions in force and terminations. She has extensive experience handling employment issues in mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs, corporate reorganizations and outsourcing transactions. She also represents clients in all employment aspects of such transactions, including strategy, due diligence, issue identification and problem solving, contract drafting, negotiation, employee transfers, consultations, implementation and post-acquisition integration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a pharmaceutical company on its purchase of a global business involving 47 countries and an announced deal value of USD 6.6 billion, as well as its post-acquisition integration.
- Advised a pharmaceutical company on the sale of its consumer care business involving over 50 countries and an announced deal value of USD 14.2 billion.
- Advised a global healthcare company on the spin-off of its biopharmaceuticals and medical products businesses into two separate, global companies.
- Advised a pharmaceutical company on its purchase of a global antibiotics company with an announced deal value of USD 9.5 billion.
- Advised a global communications company on the purchase of a telecom business involving 65 locations and 10,000 employees.
- Advised a media technology company on its tender offer to purchase all outstanding shares of a global mobile ad technology company.
- Advised a tier 1 automotive supplier on outsourcing of infrastructure services involving 15 countries.
- Advised a global technology company on a reduction in force involving 59 countries.
- Advised a financial service firm on a global employment audit involving 25 countries and multiple business lines.
- Advised a maintenance service company on the standardization of senior level employment, confidentiality and proprietary rights agreements across the US and in 12 countries.
- Recommended lawyer for US Workplace and Employment Counseling, Legal 500, 2016
- Faculty member, Loyola University of New Orleans School of Law, 2004-06
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Center for International Legal Studies - Congress of Fellows
- Chicago Bar Association
- Recipient of the 2010 Corporate Pro Bono Partner Award
- Illinois~United States (1997)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (Master of Science) (2003)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT) (J.D. High Honors, Order of the Coif) (1997)
- University of Central Florida (B.A.) (1992)